150mm ROS discs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting close to the bottom of my box of 120grit Bosch discs and before I order another one from Axminster thought I would ask what makes other members use.

I find that the Bosch ones loose their edge quite quickly especialy on hardwoods such as oak, maple & beech. Would like to try the Mirka ones from rutlands but don't want to order a box of 50 if they are no better. What do CSM do :?:

BTW I use them on a Metabo SXE450.

Jason

I use the Mirka ones Jason and find them good. Not sure on the hardwoods you use though.

Coggy

Don't buy the Screwfix discs - mine (5" on a Bosch Pex400) clog up quickly, lose their edge and often lose their velcro backing (or just come unstuck) as well - they move quite quickly when they fly off the base of the sander :wink: :shock: :D

I like the Hermes cloth backed "paper" for woodturning and intend trying it on the Bosch when I'e exhausted my Screwfix discs.

Pete

Jason,

I do like Mirka abrasives but have used them mainly in hand sanding. Their Abralon and Abramesh things are nothing short of miraculous.

On my ROSs I am currently using Bosch, and the ones sold by Festool. I rate the Festool ones highly.

Thanks for the replies, think I will try the Festool.

Chris can you confirm that they are the same 6 hole pattern as the bosch :?:

Jason

Festool have a different pattern, with a central hole, don't they?

CSM sell Hermes disks btw.

You got there while I was slowly typing!

By the way, just looked at the CSM website and they do a good range of festool-punched discs. I'd looked in their catelogue the other day and reached the conclusion that they didn't for some reason.

Their Abralon and Abramesh things are nothing short of miraculous

Chris, Have you got a source for these please. I use Mirka rolls and am very pleased with them but I've not seen the pads.

T

Thanks Chris.

I'll try some local bodyshop suppliers (hadn't thought of that)

I was reading this month's FWW this morning esp the letter following up the use of car polish instead of pumice/ rottenstone.

Have you ever used this type of thing - seems intriguing and makes sense but I imagine that most of the products have silicone in them and IIRC that causes all manner of finishing probs

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I use an autobody polishing compound for finishes if a very high gloss is needed and it is fine. I don't think there is silicone in it but as it is only used on a finish, it shouldn't matter anyway. They come in a range of abrasiveness and are less messy to use than the pumice/rottenstone route.

You can also get burnishing compunds from the likes of Liberon/ Chestnut et al. They all seem a bit different in terms of particle size and effectiveness and I have no particular favourite.

Mind you the results of sanding with 4000 grit Abralon are pretty darn good without a burnisher!

hi jason and others
has anyone tried the 150mm Makita discs these are 6 hole punched and i thought i read somewhere match the metabo sander. D&M have them listed in 10 and 50 packs

Dave W

Back