15 kw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Had my boiler repaired/serviced last week including a 3 way motorised valve(£270) completed satisfactorily with my help, the plumber had to come back, the pilot kept going out after he had left. He said he had fitted a new thermocouple UNIVERSAL but when I told him to put the old one back things worked again normally.

Anyhow my boiler rating is 11 to 15 kws (Ideal Mexico old system around 12years old) .

Does that 15kw mean it burns upto 15kw per hour if continuous?

I want to check how much a unit that works out on my gas account with EDF.

Four units on my meter is calculated 126 kwh split at 3.387p equalled £4.27p on my last bill.

Its not easy is it? so who knows the system?

Hi DW,

You need to "gas rate" your appliance to know how much gas it is using, as the amount of gas it uses depends on the setting of the gas valve in the appliance, which on an older boiler was set by the installer. There are other factors which affect the amount of gas the boiler burners.

To gas rate your boiler, turn it on from cold with all stats calling for heat & the boiler stat on maximum, let it run for a few minutes then go to your gas meter, time for 1 minute & see how much gas is used, this will be in cubic feet usually if memory servers me right it will be around 0.5 to 1 cubic foot in a minute, times this be 60 to give yourself a cf/hr then you need to do some maths

1) Multiply cubic feet by 0.028317 to convert to cubic metres

2) Multiply cubic metres by volume conversion factor, found on gas bill

3) Multiply this by calorific value ,also on bill

4) Divide answer by 3.6 to get Kwh

Think that`s right but it is early :?

Edit.

This might help http://energylinx.co.uk/gas_meter_conversion.html

Thanks Doug.

I think after reading that I shall have to accept it costs money to run gas heating, I suppose if I set my timer to 50% less running time I can reduce my bill by half that way. :)

The gas suppliers have us stitched up on those calculations.

devonwoody":1ewfm0be said:
RogerS":1ewfm0be said:
Turn the thermostat down, dw. Ours is set to 14 degrees C.

14C, you're a hard man Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah!

Everyone else is a wimp.

If you go outside on a cool evening, 14 degrees is fine. Put another jumper on and you could turn it down even more. We only heat the rooms we are using and the rest of the house drops down to 3 or 4 degrees during the cold bits. You aren't exactly going to freeze for the few seconds it takes to walk through. Keeps the fruit and veg lasting longer through the winter too.

Man up :D

I'm with Gordon here.
Heat down, jumper on. We run wood burners in the winter and tend to leave the central heating off for the most part.
A couple of warm rooms when they are in use, the rest of the house can be cold.

There's no need for central heating in the bedrooms as you're only cold for a couple of minutes when you get into bed, then you're right for the night. If you can't face a cold morning, get the heating on for half an hour before the alarm goes off and then off again right after. That'll make the upstairs plenty warm for long enough for a shower and getting the aforementioned jumper back on.

Save the a fortune. :)

cambournepete":3gls302w said:
Hudson Carpentry":3gls302w said:
Same here. Cold don't hurt.
Yes it does - my ears...

"Is the heating on?"
"Why isn't the heating on?"
"Why's it so cold in here?"

Axminster do a good range of ear defenders :) :)

We run our heating using the thermostatic valves on the rad.

If it is really cold we leave the heating on over night with all the rads off except in our 15 month old daughters room and that one is turned down to 2.

In the morning I go round and turn the rads back on in the rooms we are in and once we are dressed
The heating normally is off anyway and comes on in the evening.

Tom

Back