14 or 20tpi Dovetail Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosewood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm quite keen to get a Veritas dovetail saw, but I'm having trouble deciding between the 14tpi and the 20tpi. I'm just getting into woodworking and so would welcome any advice you could offer, I know the number of teeth per inch is related to the thickness of the wood, but as I'm hopefully going to be doing lots of practice and making a few different things, I guess I'm looking for the most universal dovetail saw.

I have their small crosscut saw, so I know I like their saws.

Thanks,

RW

Hi Rosewood,
welcome!

20 tpi is a little easier for the beginner to start.
A 14 tpi is more universal.

Cheers Pedder

Thank you Pedder, you confirmed what I was thinking.

I had a look at your saws, very beautiful... very desirable... maybe one day!

Thanks again,

RW

pedder":25xjgzt1 said:
Hi Rosewood,
welcome!

20 tpi is a little easier for the beginner to start.
A 14 tpi is more universal.

Cheers Pedder

Jeff Gorman has a someone surprising tip for beginners - if you're finding it hard to start accurately, slightly BLUNT the saw. This makes is less grabby, and easier to start, at the cost (obviously) of cutting speed.

For most people, speed of cut is not a big issue with a dovetail saw.

BugBear

Hi Derek,

Great review and very informative, thank you for posting the link. You wrote that two years ago, how have the saws done in that time, and which do you tend to go to when you're going to do some dovetails?

Best wishes,

RW

Hi RW

Both saws are excellent. I will use the 20 ppi when cutting single thin boards. I tend, however, to gang saw (i.e. multiple) ends and, as a result, use the 14 ppi saw more frequently.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back