13amp planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer n nails

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i would like to buy a planer thicknesser but i only have a 13amp supply in my workshop does any one know what machines will work on 13amp .......thanks

what is the budget? what is the requirement- hobby/trade etc?

that makes it slightly easier- the majority of the hobby machines are 13A, and a good proportion of the trade ones too, until you start to get 12" + in width.

you will get a lot more for your money secondhand. Have you much spare space- separates have their advantages and decent ones could just sneak into your budget if you bide your time. If not then there are a few p/t to look at, for example (and not limited to) kity, scheppach, axminster. Several of the models seem to have "260" in them- 260mm presumably is the width. Have a look on ebay, get a feel for what they are going for, and when the right one comes along, snap it up.

A quick thought:

Most small p/t seem to be fine running on 13A. The peak current is during startup.

You can easily convert them to 16A simply by changing the plug on the lead, and I believe it's OK to have a 16A outlet (switched, with a breaker) on a 32A ring (normal ring main).

If you get one and find it doesn't behave, you can go this route - get a sparks to add a 16A outlet to your garage. The bits are relatively inexpensive (16A plugs are a few quid - the outlet will be a bit more but shouldn't be eyestretching). The big advantage is that there's no fuse in the cable (heats up and drops the voltage as a consequence) and the connectors mate better, so you get more power at the machine and fewer cable problems.

I put a 16A plug on my MIG welder and the improvement in weld quality was quite significant (I already had a 16A outlet).

HTH,

E.

hammer n nails":1hz0x30v said:
its hobby use about £350
Budget for a dust extractor if you haven't got one already. The volume of waste flying out of PT defies belief if you haven't used one before, failure to keep it out of the way will soon spoil the results.

Back