13 years in gestation...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
... but today we have a wardrobe!
Not sprayed yet, and I still need to make a bit of moulding round the top.

Maple_wardrobe_pre_spray_small.jpg

Pity it's not curved...
Cheers
Steve

Steve

You can't just post the picture without any details :D

Does look really nice, what's it made of and how is it constructed?

Steve Maskery":1amsn90y said:
Pity it's not curved...

But all it needs to make it eligible for the competition is a curved element (and some WIP piccies) so the elliptical inlays must surely be sufficient?

I hope so, because it would be a worthy competition winner. Can we see what it looks like inside, or have you already filled it?

Gill

HI Waka,
It's made from ready-veneered MDF (even the doors), just pocket-screwed together. The ellipses are kevsingo with an ebony stringing. They were a bit trickky, because I had to excavate 0.5mm from the MDF.

The carcase is already sprayed, I did that a few months ago when the weather was good.

Hi Gill,
Entries have to be made entirely during the comp period, so I can't enter this, even if it was curved. I'm also making a chest of drawers to go with it, which I'm half-way through. I'm inclined to start it again from scratch, so I can enter it. Be a shame just to scrap what I've done though, and I don't have space for two.

Inside it looks, well, like a wardrobe :)
Wardrobe_open.JPG

This is the centre section, double short hanging.
The right hand single is shelves and the left double is long hanging at the top and the National Shoe Collection (Winter Selection) below. I need to make some sort of draw arrangement for that, but I'm not yet sure how to clear the hinges. Any ideas on that one? I have room for two pull-outs, one at floor level and one above that. With a fixed shelf above that, it will be three layers of shoes. Completely inadequate, I know, but then I'm only a bloke.

I must get some proper photography lights, it's such a grey day.

Cheers
Steve

PS Anyone want to bid?

Chris,
:)

Our duvet in in two parts, the left half is double thickness, cos Judith is a titchy girlie who is always freezing, and I'm a big hairy bloke who is always too hot, so we are both happy. It was a sample made up for me by Fogarty a few years ago. They were very good in helping a team of us in our Business Plan, which we had to do for our MBA. We called it Duvet Duet. We never did the business, although it would have worked, I think, as a one-man show. The market is not huge.

The downside is that the duvet looks bit lumpy.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Another thought - Blum do a zero clearance hinge for exactly this problem. I've not used them but could be the answer.

Cheers

Tim

steve, surely the way to go is like the old drawer units in the tailors and
haberdashers ( you might need to ask your grandad about these old terms :lol: )

they were low fronted, and set in from the sides on battens, just wide enough to clear the front frames. to be really smart you could use those nice new hafele under the drawer hinges with the soft stop closing really nice but rubbish instructions for hafele.

nice wardrobe, but i bet the doors are heavy :lol: :lol: :lol:

here's to the next 13 years.

paul

Back