12mm into half inch doesn't go?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure how I would make a sleeve that was 0.35mm thick and 12mm internal diameter, it needs to be a tube with slots basically. Turning a sleeve of that diameter and thickness would be fun on my poor little lathe.

Hmm get a piece of thicker walled tube (copper? something soft compared to hardened steel anyway) about twice as long as you need, bore out to 12mm, cut slots in one half on the mill, put over a piece of 12mm stock, clamp in 4(?) jaw chuck with half of it sticking out (the half that has no slots) and making sure it is fitting well, turn down to 12.7 od, transfer to mill and cut slots, back to the lathe and part off...

sounds fun and should work

Jason B - both bits I have are top bearing guided. We were debating a stopped hole same diameter as the bearing to allow the bearing to support the cutter at the tailstock end, while an overlong steel blank (with the cutter shaft in it) was retained and driven by a four jaw. The cutter would then rotate, with support at each end, rather like a 'between centres' arrangement.

I take the points about the drawbar etc though; there is nothing like so much security with a router and a cheapo like NuTool in particular. Still, pursuing this train of thought has been interesting, even if it only confirms the inadequacy and possible futility of even considering it.

Sam

Edit: Danny? Sounds like it could work. Our Derrick's at work presently, but I'll put it to him at beer time. S.

If I was going to try this I wouldn't bother trying to machine such a thin walled tube.
I think I'd either turn the cutter shank down to 10mm then shrink a hot sleeve onto it and cross pin it, it would have enough meat to turn to size, alternatively I'd dip the shank into some laquer or thin resin mix, let it dry vertically then see what the resultant diameter is. As the cutter is held in a collet [as opposed to a chuck] the surface should not be chewed up by tightening.

This is now quite possible. It has been for years with engineering ER collets, which are very good quality and have a range, usually around 1 mm.

Axminster now sell a 1/2" collet extension with that facility as well as other sizes. Page 311.

Mike

8)

I once had the same situation with a cutter I bought.

I'm embarrassed to say that my solution was to wrap a bit of gaffer tape round the shank of the cutter. It worked just fine for years.

I'm not recommending it, though.

I probably missd something, but:

Collet Extension - £35.00?

A 12mm Collet - £25.00

I think I'd buy the collet.

If 12mm shanked bits are generally cheaper than 1/2" ones, isn't there the possibility of future savings on your bits?

I think I have most of the cutters I need now so I will stick to 1/2" collets.

John

:wink:

Benchwayze":q9qlyyjb said:
I probably missd something, but:

Collet Extension - £35.00?

A 12mm Collet - £25.00

I think I'd buy the collet.

If 12mm shanked bits are generally cheaper than 1/2" ones, isn't there the possibility of future savings on your bits?

I think I have most of the cutters I need now so I will stick to 1/2" collets.

John

:wink:

Thats if he could find a collet to fit his nu-tool router

12mm are cheaper overhear but thats because they don't fit 99.9% of UK routers its really a continental size so if you wanted specific ones you would have to buy from abroad.

Sammie
Regarding the extension, how good are the bearings in your old nu-tool router, any run out will be amplified by the extension and also put more load on the bearings.

J

Urk, true, true, Jason B. I remembered about that just after posting my "perfect" line above. I think I 'll flog 'em on and stick to 1/2" in future, because any 'workaround' brought up here seems to always have the capacity to liberate a 1/2 Kg lump of carbide at 15000rpm in an unpredictable direction....

Brad? You simultaneously scare the Bejasus out of me and make me shake with deep, uncontrollable laughter. Gaffer tape....oh, boy. I presume it was something nice and industrial like a DW, Makita, or Hitatchoo? Something where the collet was a PROPER machined one and not the wee light suspiciously Heinz-like one in my NuTool? Something that had the capacity to distort a mite and compress to grab the under-sized shaft? Betcha it wasn't the panel raiser I'm hoping to use? Gawd, you've got me sniggering agian. Made my day that.

Sam

PS My visible name is SammieQ and was an empathic gesture to my daughter, years ago when she was ill. But, it's the diminutive ususally used by ladies and it doesn't sit well with 230lbs, 6'1" and thinning hair...does anyone know how to change it to SamQ? Without losing all the history built up as SammieQ?

Sam, with or without Q's.

=D> =D> NeV. The NuTool finally phutted into another existence last month...but I still have the bits! Going to buy a used 625e now the kids are graduated and I reckon my pocket money will also run to one of them thar collets. =P~

Sam

SammyQ":3axrlp76 said:
Morning all you lignin dust breathers....

I ama complete muppet. It's official. Indisputable. (My wife agrees, so it must be right).

I bought two smashing 12mm DeWalt router bits under the delusion I had a 12mm collet. Nope, the two cheapo HALF INCH routers I have do not have a single 12mm collet between them.....Gawd....NOW what do I do?

Buy a 12mm friendly router? DW625 retails at about £250, 12mm collet on top is £25-£45. Three kids at Uni in September, so no luck there. Replacement collet? My NuTool 1250W clone (of what?) is discontinued. I don't have access to any other routers, to make a comparison of collet 'architecture'/ design to establish a size or configuration.

I have no idea where to go or what to do now. Colllet liner/sleeve? Too fragile surely. Add metal to the shanks of the 12mm and turn down to 12.7mm? Can I guarantee no damage in the lathe chuck to two new carbide bits? Not on your nelly. Take a 1/4" collet sleeve and open it up via a lathe to 12mm? Possibly, but which make/model?

Anybody else been a complete glype/wassock/airhead/dingbat/clampit/'head the ball'/wooden top and managed to figure out a "workaround"????

Workable ideas much appreciated; I may even have to offer to have your children.....

Sam.
AXI extension and colletts to suit that is what I use for milling cutters in my big routers.

Well Sam I have a slight problem too.
I have a Festool 1/2" router and a Bosch 1/4 inch router. (The small one handed model.) As I see it both of these routers are metric in fact, and I have yet to discover if they really will accept 1/2" and 1/4" shanks, especially as Axy stock a special set of bits for the Bosch. 8-[

John

SammyQ":mmqodcg2 said:
=D> =D> NeV. The NuTool finally phutted into another existence last month...but I still have the bits! Going to buy a used 625e now the kids are graduated and I reckon my pocket money will also run to one of them thar collets. =P~

Sam

#hahaha it's only taken 6 years :)

Three at university, starting at one year intervals; all on Master's four year courses. Three sets of accomodation, food and sundry costs, times four. Three sets of flights, three times per year, 'cos we live in Belfast. Three Student Loans paid off, each as its named borrower graduated. Two jobs, sometimes three, to make all this happen. Yes. It's been six years. :|

For each sumer of those six years, as soon as I'd had a ten day lay-off to re-charge(?), I completed a major construction project. Chimney down, roof sealed; entire house re-pointed; under-floor insulation installed throughout; bathroom/kitchen return externally insulated; new kitchen (only fair as it twenty years since I put in the last one); three major charity expeditions, each a month, in Peru and India. Yes, It's been six years. :|

I am pretty damn sure I'm not the only one finding Life interfering with what I want to do. I am pretty damn sure there are people worse off - in whatever way - than me and with less opportunity than me, so you see, I am not special, gifted, talented or any other glitterati word. I just grafted in the only ways I knew how. For six years. :|

The bairns are all up and away; the big jobs are all done, I've done my bit overseas. I look forward to the next six years. :|

Sam

once bought a triton router from tool station with a massive discount as the box had got damp underneath a leak. very pleased until I got it home to find no cutter I owned fit the sodding thing, including the free cutter that came with the router. After several phone calls and emails I received a second collet that was still 12mm, after lots more emails, calls and some social media blackmailing I finally got the right collet and its a great router with some very clever features.

My mums giant rabbit Mr.Pickles chewing the cable off 6" from the router is another story, no doubt he would have been in the oven that evening but I couldn't find a tray big enough!!!

adidat

Back