123 years on - nothing has changed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I know some of us are following the "Work" magazine reprint project, but I thought this bit from this week's issue (8 June 1889) was too good not to repeat for the widest audience. 123 years after these words were written, I think they will ring true for many of us!

It is rarely indeed that a good practical artisan, who has arrived at the years of discretion, has not found out which is the most
convenient way for himself personally to use the ordinary tools of his craft. He may go to the length of telling youngsters who ask him which way he finds best, or even in friendly chat will discuss with others equally as competent as himself the pros and cons of various methods, but as for saying that every other but his own must be wrong - well, to do so would not reflect credit on his intelligence, but it might, and very likely would, be very strong presumptive evidence that his work would be that of a "duffer."

Read the rest (on how to cut rebates) here.

In further echoes, some of the "conversations" in the letter columns of work are just as "you said", "no, you said" as threads in the internet era, just on a 2 week cycle.

BugBear (owner of some bound volumes of "Work")

bugbear":11c2quoi said:
In further echoes, some of the "conversations" in the letter columns of work are just as "you said", "no, you said" as threads in the internet era, just on a 2 week cycle.

You omit the critical question, though - are they at least spelled correctly...? ;-)

Back