12" x 4" spalted beech salad bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Another bit of wood from H,O,W his spalted beech is the best I have ever turned no soft spongy bits that need stabilizing just good solid wood 12" x 4" and finished with 6 coats of teak oil salad come fruit bowl

Attachments

• DSCF0778.JPG
    DSCF0778.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 873
  • DSCF0776.JPG
    DSCF0776.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 873
  • DSCF0773.JPG
    DSCF0773.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 874
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 874
phil.p":tjts2za2 said:
That is soooo lovely. I've never thought to use Teak Oil - is it significantly different to using any other oil finish? Is it OK with food?
I have been using Teak oil & Danish oil for many years and have never had any problems and I have made bowls for the trade as well as for private use also it has been used on dining furniture, chopping boards for donkeys years but there is no proof apart from good ol common sense very few finishes state that they are food safe finish only child safe
Application is just the same as any oil with a brush or cloth and remove any excess after 5 min
A lot of turners wont make salad bowls from spalted wood they consider it unsafe for use with wood but again in all my years I have never had any complaints from customers nor family the wood is sealed so how can it be a danger but we will and always have had differences of opinion that's what helps the world to go round I just go by experience LOL

Back