12 volt 20 watt bulb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas where I can find one of these?

Lampbulb.jpg

I've tried local electrical retailers and automotive shops and looked at a number of online suppliers, Maplins, RS and others without success. It seems that the low voltage is the problem.

It is from a child's night light. Heat from the bulb drives a windmill which reflects shadows on the wall.

Andy

Might be a useless suggestion... but have you tried a car accessory shop, being 12v? I'm not sure if many cars use an SES type fitting, but it might be worth a try?

Yes Terry Tried the car accessory shops but as you say the srew fitting is not normal.

Andy

Rapid Electronics did stock them but I find their web site unhelpful, so I don't know if they still do.

Bob

Right trying again.
Typing 14mm 12V 20W edison lightbulb into Google gives you this site:
http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/cat832_1.htm

And this one looks really promising apart from the abysmal website:
http://www.uklightbulbs.co.uk/9.html

Do a search for 12V finds candelabra bulbs although the screwfitting does look a trifle short. (I also assume that they don't flicker)
Anyway that second link looks like they have everything. You could try giving them a ring.

Thanks, Guys. It seems I need to learn another language just to interrogate some of those sites. I'd never realised that there were so many different bulbs.

I'll sift through them all at length later this evening (if we ever get the girls to sleep)

Andy

thought for the day try a couple of the model railway companies that make transformers etc ie electrical products.

sorry no link, but railway modeller carries the adverts.

happy xmas to all
paul

Well after over hours of searching through all the links above, and a few more, I can find 15 watt and 25 watt but not a 20 watt anywhere. I will get one of each of these and see what happens.

thanks again

Andy

Squires (01243 842424) do quite a lot of bulbs for model railways, they have 25 watt & 40 watt @ 12 volt SES fitting but not 20 watt.
They do a lot of stuff for model makers and small scale woodworkers and have an excellant catalogue, but no web site yet.

dede
Strangly as it seems I have bought simular things from my local branch of the John Lewis Partnership. They seem to stock most things

Bean

Back