12" compound mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivanfabian

Reaction score
Hi can anyone give me me push towards making a choice on a 12 inch compound miter saw. The size and capacity of the Makita ls1219l looks like my choice for now. I was keen on the Bosch glide until I saw the plastic bits that just look like they won't last. Please don't say festool. The DeWalt takes up too much room. I need it for cutting joists, skirting, cladding and just about any bit of timber you'd cut for house construction.

Thanks for your help.

Metebo kgs 305??

There is a nearly new one on the bay ATM for £200

Collection Hastings though.

Cheers James

If you're referring to the Bosch GCM12GDL, I don't know which plastic bits you think won't last... unless you're planning to 'adjust' them with a lump hammer.
I've had one with the mobile stand for several years - it's a great saw and very robust. I've given it a fair amount of abuse, nothing's broken, it's still accurate and the glide mechanism is still smooth as silk.

Bosch - refurbished direct from the manufacturer. They have a 12" saw on there right now for a few hundred pounds off - it has a 12 month guarantee

Thanks for all your thoughts. I think it's the Makita ls1219l that I'm going to go for. It's a couple hundred quid less than the Bosch glide. No one has said not to go for the Makita. I'll let everyone know my thoughts when I've had it for a while.

..when I changed I was going to go Makita, but when I checked them out at our local store I found the slide action to be very "gritty".....may be just a one off (?) problem....

Makita ls1219l Any one any experience of these ?
Was thinking of one some time for greater capacity ...

Bosch - refurbished direct from the manufacturer. They have a 12" saw on there right now for a few hundred pounds off - it has a 12 month guarantee
Not sure about the thought of refurbished, especially with some companies doing 3 year warranty on brand new ...

I've got the smaller makita cross cut saw. Had it for 8 or 9 years. Heavy DIY use.
Excellent product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new makita.
Glides in and out smoothly. Cuts dead square.
Only issues are that the laser gave up a few months ago, and soft start would be really nice. Providing Makita quality hasn't gone downhill of late, I'd highly recommend them.

I upgraded to the makita ls1219 a couple of months ago from the ls1018. I have been using it almost daily from fiddly bits of pictur rail and skirting to large section joists. It's well built, accurate once set up correctly and has stayed accurate. I wasn't that impressed with the ls1018 to be honest but the ls 1219 is a completely different animal. I have used a couple of the other usual branded 12" scms and for the money the makita wins hands down in my opinion. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 20210328_132823.jpg
    20210328_132823.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 23
I upgraded to the makita ls1219 a couple of months ago from the ls1018. I have been using it almost daily from fiddly bits of pictur rail and skirting to large section joists. It's well built, accurate once set up correctly and has stayed accurate. I wasn't that impressed with the ls1018 to be honest but the ls 1219 is a completely different animal. I have used a couple of the other usual branded 12" scms and for the money the makita wins hands down in my opinion. Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply, very helpful.
What width top do you need to stand the saw on ?
One reason to get it was the flat back up to the wall to save space ...
My bench top is 600mm wide
Thanks again
Dave

Thanks for the reply, very helpful.
What width top do you need to stand the saw on ?
One reason to get it was the flat back up to the wall to save space ...
My bench top is 600mm wide
Thanks again
Dave
I've just measured from the flat bit at the back of the saw to the front foot on the base and it's 600 spot on. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back