115v Sewing machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got a sewing machine 2nd hand, and realise it's 115v 60hz AC 90 and has a 2 pin plug that I think is American.

How do I go about being able to use this?

A suitable step-down transformer would do, bearing in mind that it’s an inductive load and designed for 60 Hz. Both these things will cause it to draw a little more current than you might think, so go for a transformer rated well above the 90W, say 180W or more. Ratings may be quoted in VA or kVA, not watts. Make sure you maintain the earth connection, if there is one, when changing the plug, and fit a 3A fuse.

If you go for a proprietary UK-US converter as above, try to find a decent name brand one, and over-spec it.

it depends on the sewing machine you could be spending more than it's worth on a converter or a new motor if it's an industrial machine usually worth it but a lot of domestic machines are worth very little with only a few worth spending much on.

Thanks for all the information folks.

This is the motor. I suspect there's nothing I can do to get this compatible with zero costs?

Its an old cheap machine so not worth spending much on it, but I'd certainly like to use it if possible.

Attachments

• PXL_20220321_170242477.jpg
    PXL_20220321_170242477.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 22
can only find that motor as a 110v and usually with a shorter shaft so details of sewing machine would be required to find suitable replacement but good news is that the motor is used on the better quality machines

Thanks for all the information folks.

This is the motor. I suspect there's nothing I can do to get this compatible with zero costs?

Its an old cheap machine so not worth spending much on it, but I'd certainly like to use it if possible.
I wouldn't worry about trying to change the motor. It will work fine on 50Hz if you can find a 150W (or VA) stepdown transformer. The machine is likely old enough that there are no electronics in it that are frequency dependent.

Back