110v vs 240v power tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren D

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just made a bit of a buying mistake and would like some opinions. I've just bought a 110v dust extractor off e-bay instead of a 240v one I really want (that will teach me to read the descriptions more carefully). The extractor has got a power take off which is obviously also 110v. One option is to put it back on e-bay and take my chances but I was wondering whether I should just buy a transformer and live with 110v? I intend to buy new power tools anyway (circular saw, jigsaw, router, etc.) over time and I could just buy 110v versions of these. What are the drawbacks and benefits of 110v? I think it is a legal safety requirement for site work but as I'm only doing DIY, this doesn't really apply. Is there anything else?
Darren

I would re auction it on eBay .... you would need a big transformer to feed it and the power tools you might run from it. Also, you would not be able to run your 110 v tools elsewhere in your house without a transformer.

HTH John

Darren D":1du7qbqd said:
I think it is a legal safety requirement for site work but as I'm only doing DIY, this doesn't really apply. Is there anything else?
Darren

Correct - For site work it is a requirement.

More choice of power tools at 240v for DIY. Personally, I wouldn't base all my future tool buying equipment on 110v, because I had to buy a transformer for this one bit of kit. On the other hand tho, if you do buy the transformer it'll give you more choice when buying used tools, you'll have the option of both 240v & 110v.

Cheers

Howard

Yup..what they all said.

I had the option to buy a DeWalt crosscut saw at an excellent price but knowing it was 110v. So I bought a chunky transformer...and that gave me the opportunity to buy a DW625 110v to go on the WoodRat (again, off eBay and for a good price). The £20 Makita 1/2" router I bought also is 110v.

I also reasoned that as it was my intention to develop property then 110v would be an investment.

BUT...it truly is a real big pain in the butt, having to lug that damn thing around. True, for DIY, it does give you the option of 110v/240v BUT, as in my own case now with three 110v tools, you end up either constantly moving it or end up tripping over 110v extension leads.

it did cross my mind that one advantage would be a wider choice of used tools, and the 110v tools are often cheaper. But I hear what you are all saying, so it will have to go.

Just trying my luck slightly, but is anyone considering going professional and fancies swapping their DIY 240v dust extractor for a pro 110v one? You might be more likely to go for this if you don't read the comments above :)

Darren

Darren

What make of dust extractor is it? I might be interested in buying it off you. If it was a recent item on eBay then if you post the item number then I might be able to view it.

Roger

It's a Festool CT22E, used but with a years warrenty. I paid £190 for it and I've spoken to the company who sold it to me and they will accept a return so It's under control. But if you are interested at £190, you are very welcome. I have been looking for ages and this is by far the best price I found so was really happy until I opened the box!
It's e-bay item number 4398925352
Darren

Darren D":7lahv95y said:
It's a Festool CT22E, used but with a years warrenty. I paid £190 for it Darren

Ok forget everything we said about 110v and so on. £190 for the CT22E is a very good price :p :p :p

You haven't tried one then. So quiet, so smooth, so much much err suck. As good as anything else they make, if brutally and a bit stupidly expensive at their list price. Much like everything else they make, the price seems ridiculous but you never regret it once it has been sunk.

I went for the Festool as it is supposed to be relatively quiet. Also it has variable suction power which I imagine means you can turn it down to make it quieter still. My particular one is in fact sillent although mainly that is because I'm unable to plug it in :).
On top of that, I was hoping for the normal Festool quality benefits - sensible length cables and hose, no niggling design faults, systainer compatibility, and hopefully bulletproof build.
It's all packed up now and going back so I've a chance to rethink. Is there is no need to go for the green and black hype in this particular case?
Darren

I bought one recently and while I haven't used it extensively can report it sucks (in the good sense) beautifully and is very quiet even on the most powerful setting. Turn it down to low and you can hardly hear it (and yes it is still sucking). Chances are any power tool you connect to it will be noisier. It's also nice to know absolutely no fine dust is escaping from it and very handy and very tidy to be able to attach the systainers to the top of it.

I'd seriously think about keeping it at the price you paid.

Pete

They won't be cheap but I wouldn't expect to replace them very frequently if at all during normal hobby use.
The bags work out at around 5 for £20 but they last a long time (they claim they fill up to 90% of capacity) and I got 5 extra free with my CT22.

The filters last for ages and ages, mine look as good as when I bought it, they have a clever cleaning mechanism. The bags are pricey and no-one seems to rip them off, I did read ages ago who makes the festool vacs (they are brand-engineered apparently, from some posh german vac company) but I couldn't find the reference agasin when I was looking for spare bags. Ended up buying a long-life sac which cost a bomb, but will pay back after 50 empties or so.

Back