10mm holes in 8mm mild steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason I've yet to determine this Forum got deleted from my normally 'Open' set so I'm having to 'catch up' from early January - :unsure: 😖

Lots of excellent advice has naturally already been provided but some auxiliary questions have not been (IMO) adequately addressed. AES particularly asked about the 'Web' - - Yes, as far as Jobber drills are concerned, there is a corelation between the drill diameter and web thickness but no one has mentioned that it has long been good engineering practice to 'thin' the web as part of the sharpening process.

It's all very well buying sets of drills on 'price' and expecting even the cheapest to be 'ready for use' out of the box. Sharpening drills is labour intensive, (read costly) even using sophisticated machinery so 'Chinesium' drills are more likely to be left just as they come off the machine with little or no 'relief'.

The only drills that I don't sharpen by hand from new are very small solid carbide drills (0.3mm through to 6mm by 0.1mm increments) and anything above a 5mm 'Jobber' I will always thin the web.

I haven't looked at any but I'm sure there will be many YouTube Videos describing the web thining process.

Last edited:
Back