100mm Tool to 35mm Vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
My Bandsaw (Axminster SBW3501B) has a 100mm dust port at the bottom on the back. I've used it with various vacs over the years and it has worked fine but a re-arranging of the workshop will necessitate a permanent change to a small vac with a 35mm hose connector. Obviously I will have to step the 100mm down to 35mm at some point. My query is: Is it better to step down close to the tool or close to the vac? Or does it not make any real difference? What do you think?

thanks & regards

Brian

I'm thinking I would bring the small hose right to the band saw. That way the vac will be working as designed.
But I don't really know for sure, be interesting to see other opinions.
I know I tried to lengthen the hose to my track saw and had to go back to the factory setting.

Put a 35mm collection port near the blade where it appears at the bottom of the table, this location is far more effective with a LVHP vacuum.

I'm thinking I would bring the small hose right to the band saw. That way the vac will be working as designed.
But I don't really know for sure, be interesting to see other opinions.
I know I tried to lengthen the hose to my track saw and had to go back to the factory setting.

Really? I have a very long hose on my shop vac setup, no issues with it. I also have a homemade extension that lets me hoover the car without moving the vac, probably about 8m long in total, again works fine.

Really? I have a very long hose on my shop vac setup, no issues with it. I also have a homemade extension that lets me hoover the car without moving the vac, probably about 8m long in total, again works fine.
Mines a Lidl jobby, maybe yours is better quality.

Mines a Lidl jobby, maybe yours is better quality.

I used Lidl vacs for years, no problems. I switched last year to using a henry which is actually little less powerful I think but I wanted something quieter, still has no trouble with the long hoses.

How about a cheap garage funnel cut to the approx diameters and duct taped on?

Cheers James

I would go with narrow hose to the machine.

The speed of airflow in a 100mm hose will be far less than 35mm - approx 10-20% for a given amount of "suck" from the vacuum. This may not be enough to keep the dust entrained in the airflow. Ultimately performance could fall as hose becomes clogged.

Latest posts

Back