100mm Tool to 35mm Vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
My Bandsaw (Axminster SBW3501B) has a 100mm dust port at the bottom on the back. I've used it with various vacs over the years and it has worked fine but a re-arranging of the workshop will necessitate a permanent change to a small vac with a 35mm hose connector. Obviously I will have to step the 100mm down to 35mm at some point. My query is: Is it better to step down close to the tool or close to the vac? Or does it not make any real difference? What do you think?

thanks & regards

Brian

I'm thinking I would bring the small hose right to the band saw. That way the vac will be working as designed.
But I don't really know for sure, be interesting to see other opinions.
I know I tried to lengthen the hose to my track saw and had to go back to the factory setting.

Put a 35mm collection port near the blade where it appears at the bottom of the table, this location is far more effective with a LVHP vacuum.

I'm thinking I would bring the small hose right to the band saw. That way the vac will be working as designed.
But I don't really know for sure, be interesting to see other opinions.
I know I tried to lengthen the hose to my track saw and had to go back to the factory setting.

Really? I have a very long hose on my shop vac setup, no issues with it. I also have a homemade extension that lets me hoover the car without moving the vac, probably about 8m long in total, again works fine.

Really? I have a very long hose on my shop vac setup, no issues with it. I also have a homemade extension that lets me hoover the car without moving the vac, probably about 8m long in total, again works fine.
Mines a Lidl jobby, maybe yours is better quality.

Mines a Lidl jobby, maybe yours is better quality.

I used Lidl vacs for years, no problems. I switched last year to using a henry which is actually little less powerful I think but I wanted something quieter, still has no trouble with the long hoses.

How about a cheap garage funnel cut to the approx diameters and duct taped on?

Cheers James

I would go with narrow hose to the machine.

The speed of airflow in a 100mm hose will be far less than 35mm - approx 10-20% for a given amount of "suck" from the vacuum. This may not be enough to keep the dust entrained in the airflow. Ultimately performance could fall as hose becomes clogged.

Back