100mm Celotex rigid insulation board installation advice and tips?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh all right :rolleyes: . To put it another way; you don't need dust extraction with a hand saw. Though frequent sweeping and hoovering would be good - you get a bit of dust but most of it is crumbs. Not having a motorised tool blasting the stuff about is helpful

Thats a better way of putting it, you don't need dust extraction with a handsaw because the dust just goes everywhere, with a tracksaw and dust extraction the dust is removed at source.

Thats a better way of putting it, you don't need dust extraction with a handsaw because the dust just goes everywhere, with a tracksaw and dust extraction the dust is removed at source.
Right ho Owen if you say so.

I have always used a wavy edged bread knife with a straight edge, very little mess and doing it all the time it is quite accurate.

They lose usefulness at 100mm depth of insulation or so but that's the point of the Bahco type insulation saws, basically wavy-saw-knives, none (or at least a tiny fraction) of that awful dust. Bit more effort to cut, but so much less objectionable overall.

tracksaws do work on celetex very well.

and I’d say quicker than a handsaw and less dusty.

I know quite a few builders that have swapped to using actis. insulation for in between studwork or joists.

bought about 3k s worth of 100mm celotex, ok for under floor screed but when i came to do in between rafters it had developed a 30mm to 50mm bow across the width, had to put retaining battens behind, cut to a loose fit,then screw battens across the front and foam in with foam gun. i have other makes of insulation that have stayed flat for years so i know its not the way i stored it.

Once you've gone "track"......... you'll never go back! :cool:

I stick with 50mm and a normal tracksaw.... If it needs 100mm, then double up.... Not much difference in price and not much longer to do it, but perfectly square in one cut with "normal" tools already owned.

Obviously not for everyone. Whatever works for you. I'm coming from a Self Build and DIY background where I get to choose what I use and how much time and money I want to spend doing it.............

Anyway, about using a track saw for plasterboard..................;)

Back