10,000 grit Waterstones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I bought a 10,000 grit Japanese waterstone from Axminster, link here, yesterday. It is a King brand stone, and comes complete with a nagura.
Mike (Midnight) mentioned he had one and how keen an edge it gave him so I thought I'd give one a go. I was surprised how big it was compared to my other King stones and it comes on a wooden base. Gave a couple of irons a tickle over the stone and something didn't seem right. Drew some pencil lines over the surface of the stone and gave it a rub over some wet and dry on my plate glass. The stone was well cupped!! :shock:
No problem-another minute rubbing it over the wet and dry and then the surface was flattened.
Honed up another iron (the one for my new Bevel Up Smoother :wink: Whoosh!) and it certainly gave a much finer polish. In use it was VERY sharpand gave an effortless cut.
So, a definite thumbs up! Doesn't take much extra time to use it (I use a 800 and 6000 set of stones usually) and it certainly gives a keener edge.
I'll let you know how I get on once I've re-sharpened every tool in the workshop.
cheers
Philly :D
P.S. Sorry there's no photo's-will sort some out for tomorrow! :lol:

Glad to see someone without an unnatural fear of water... :roll:

For those that are (or should I say, for the one that is?), here's a stone I found wrapped in an oil soaked cloth and in the wood shed when we remodeled our home. This belonged to my wife's great uncle, the gent who built the house in 1897.

sharp_oil.jpg

Philly":1hjmh8z4 said:
(the one for my new Bevel Up Smoother :wink: Whoosh!)
At last the other shoe has dropped... I've been waiting for that one for what seems like an eternity, Phil! :lol:

Mike, I don't know who you could possibly mean. :whistle: Now excuse me while I go and hone to an atom-splitting edge with some 1/4 micron diamond paste... :p :D Evidentally your great uncle-in-law didn't have our fixation with flat stones then? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

No, fixations for flat stones at least didn't apply to this stone, which as it was in the woodshed I suppose was used for axes and such.

Seeing how half of the house (the half he built without his father's help) was neither plumb nor level, he didn't much believe in either the cast iron nor rosewood levels left here either :lol:

So come on. How you getting along with the messy paste then? What have you found to be a good substrate for it? Maybe you and Philly can have a contest of shiney blades.

I'll be the judge and award the prize (tbd). The contest would need to include pics of the setups and mess or lack there of also.

I have a small package headed to someone over there within the next week anyway. I could include the prize in it and it could be forwarded along...

MikeW":s7gb63rh said:
Maybe you and Philly can have a contest of shiney blades.
I lose. The diamonds don't do shiny nearly as well as they do sharp. :roll: Unfortunately I'm still in the priliminary stages of evaluation (estimated time of completion 2037) so I'm not competition fit ... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi all
Slightly off topic here..
I use a King 6000 grit w/stone and always seem to get an oily/greasy grey mess on the stone which seems to make the iron skid over the surface.
I use a nagura first. It just feels as if the stone is not cutting properly.
Is it me? Am I mad? We must be told! :) :)
Any Thoughts?
martin

Mike
Thanks, but we don't want talk of competition around these parts. I don't need any more pressure to get nothing done... :lol: :lol: :roll:
Martin,
I use a spraybottle to keep the surface wet-use as much as is needed to keep things slick. Also, try not putting too much pressure on the stone. A nice easy polishing motion is all you need.
Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Philly the Underachiever :twisted:

Alf and Philly
Oh I was just trying to have some fun--at y'all's expense I suppose.

I would like to hear at some point about the paste. It seems to drop in price every now and then and I thought about getting some for honing my molding plane and maybe my carving tools.

Right now I use the green bar of stuff from LV. Works good, but I like to fiddle. Just don't like wasting money.

Martin
Another thing I do with my King stone (4k) is to occassionally make a swipe or two with the nagura after misting it again like Philly says.

At that high of grit, I only take a dozen strokes at the most anyway. So it doesn't really get bad for a couple tools.

MikeW":262as0ci said:
Alf and Philly
Oh I was just trying to have some fun--at y'all's expense I suppose.
Notice how we both ducked out from under at such high speed? :lol: :lol:

I'll try to get round to writing up something about the paste, but goodness knows when. It's unlikely to be a scientifically in-depth study such as might be any use though. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1pllt9sx said:
Snip...
It's unlikely to be a scientifically in-depth study such as might be any use though. :oops:
Cheers, Alf
Science ain't all it's cracked up to be. Especially when applied to sharpening.

And besides, gotta trust someone's judgement.

Mike
no offense meant to any one in the sciences

Philly":r25eodmd said:
It is a King brand stone, and comes complete with a nagura.

I was looking at that stone on the website and assumed it wasn't a King because the code doesn't have KING in it like the others. Wrong again! :roll:

In use it was VERY sharpand gave an effortless cut.

like I'd give ya a bum steer......sheesh...

:p

glad t hear it's working out... btw those extra wide stones are just the ticket for the likes of #112 blades...

Back