1" single bevel wood chisel for fan bird carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am taking up fan bird carving and one of the tools is a 1 " or bit bigger wood chisel single bevel it will be used on soaked soft wood or green wood for carving the hinge on the bird just using my hands

I also need a 7mm gouge just u shape , after looking at advice about buying only the tools that you need I need some advice on what is a beginners buy I don't mind paying say up to 20 pounds each if its going to be worth it rather than buying a bigger cheaper set of lower quality with sizes I wont use

having said that I have heard good reviews of the marples blue chip set at around 40 pound for the single bevel chisels

any advice on new or old on ebay to look out for would be great thanks mark

I'll have a look later and go through my carving chisels. And get back to you. If I do have one it will be by addis I hope that's ok :)
TT

you may pay a bit more for an inch one, but a tenner or just over will buy you a very high quality, very old gouge from ebay. Herring bros, Addis et al.

save a few pounds for sharpening- carving tools are touched up a little and often. A slip stone is used for sharpening them.

ok thanks for advice guys , pete I have seen that episode well part of it , it s very long winded.

I have done a lot of research on the subject and all I can say is there is more than one way to skin a cat !

there is a lot of stuff out there and different techniques and the method I am following involves basic wood hand tools to make fan birds.

general question out of curiosity what is the difference between a 1 inch single bevel wood chisel and a carving chisel of the same spec if any ?

mark

You asked about the difference between a single bevel wood chisel and a carving chisel that is 1 inch wide and flat. The carving chisel will have two bevels of equal size on either side (somewhere between 10 or 15 degrees on each side - for a total bevel of 20 to 30 degrees). It allows the carving chisel to go straight into the cut it is making as there is equal pressure on the wood on both sides. Depending on the task, people doing carving may use single bevel wood chisels some of the time. Hope that helps rather than confuse.

Back