1 HP single phase lightweight motor recommendation, please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just bought an Inca universal saw and planer/jointer on the bay. I'll let people know how the cleanup/restoration goes when they arrive. The saw will mainly be used for small, precision work (I have a Wadkin for big ripping etc), joint cutting etc. A bonus is that it comes with a mitre gauge to use also with my Inca bandsaw. The saw and bandsaw have an unusual dovetail slot instead of the usual rectangular mitre slot, so are difficult to find or make, but are very precise.

They come without motors so I shall be looking for single phase, 240V, 1 HP motors, at least 3000 rpm (ie 2 pole). There is a huge choice available so I'd like a recommendation. I don't want a monster as they have to be fairly portable, so old secondhand ones are probably out - modern magnets and lightweight materials are indicated. Any suggestions for a lightweight motor?

Thanks

Keith

Firstly there are no magnets in induction motors. The bodies come in two flavours alumimium and cast iron. Obviously aluminium will be lighter. Rotors are always iron. Two pole motors run at about 2850rpm, you won't get any faster on 50hz mains

You need to find out the monting you need. options are Foot, Face and Flange. The type you want will be dictated by the machine. there will be options combining foot with face and foot with flange. Generally the mounting holes will be standard as will be the shaft diameter/key size for a given motor power. Beware of changing the power level as everything else will change and you are into a lot of engineering work.
Also you need to decide on the starting torque that you need. Lower torque motors will have a single capacitor, high starting torque will have two.
Ebay vendors are possibly the place to look - many dealers are reselling TEC motors - inevitably chinese made but pretty good. Marelli motors are a cut above TEC but still chinese made but with Italian Quality standards. Another trusted vendor is Inverter Supermarket online. excellent data on all their motors to check everthing will fit.
You will come across "frame Size" this is the height in mm of the centre of the shaft above the bottom of the feet.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
This helps indeed, many thanks. Just what I wanted to know. Duh, of course there are no magnets in induction motors. I' doing the motor mounting myself, so no problem with the mounting, a standard foot touting will be fine.

Thanks again

Keith

Back