1.5mm birch ply seeking best price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a couple of sheets (1525x1525) of 1.5mm birch ply.

I need to make a couple of curved finishing panels for my kitchen and the intention is to laminate up a couple of thicknesses over curved framework. I would have used bendy mdf but radius is too tight.

Best price I've found so far is £28.50 plus vat a sheet.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a better price?

I think that is about the norm for 1.5mm ply. Jason might be able to shed more light as I think he does a lot with 1.5mm birch ply

Thanks, trust me this was way better then the average price I found for the stuff.

I'd love to find a cheaper solution but I pretty sure it's the way to go.

I've never used the stuff myself but I've seen it in a two layer lamination and it's amazingly robust for 3mm, perfect for what I need.

Could you not just use bendy ply? I think it comes as thin as 3mm if that's the thickness you want, and you can order it so it either bends along the length or across the width of the sheet, much more flexible than bendy MDF and quicker than laminating 1.5mm, it should be cheaper too, we use 5mm at work which is about £25 for a 2440 x 1220 sheet.

Price sounded about right so I didn't suggest anywhere.

I've not seen 3mm flexi ply, 5mm is usually teh thinnest, and in a single layer it won't hold its shape so either needs laminating to a second layer or fixing to a former, nasty stuff to paint as well as the grain is so open.

You can get a gaboon WBP ply down to 2mm (about £20 8x4) which would bend but as there are likely to be voids and poor layering its risky trying to bend it tight as one of those faults could make it snap, again not as good a surface as the birch

J

Back