1.5 x 5mm slot in wood - how

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter has given me a nice challenge to replace a drawer divider in a pre-owned piece of furniture that is a missing a drawer divider. All very simple - 300 x 60 x 7mm until you come to the mount which is steel pins in the drawer carcase that you slide the divider onto, with a stopped 1.5mm wide x 5mm deep slot in each end of the divider. The pins are clearly less than 1.5mm, as I have measured the slot width in the sample divider I have brought home by seeing what size of drill bit fits tight into it.

I'm guessing that the originals were made with a suitable saw blade mounted in the equivalent of a router table.

On the basis that my daughter is not demanding an exact replica - ie it could be glued into blocks - and for a one off there is little encouragement to spend money, can anyone suggest a way to do this.
Thanks
Rob

As I read your post. I believe you need to make two slots, 1.5mm wide x 5mm deep, each 60 mm long. Cut each slot with a Tenon saw and widen to suit with sandpaper. My Tenon saw leaves a kerf of 1.3mm. Check yours for fit in an existing slot, if available, a rip cut hand saw may be a better fit.
HTH
Geoff

You can get crazy thin slitting blades for a dremel.
Japanese pull saw if you need an excuse for one - the sun child dozuki blade is only 0.3mm - katabas commonly about 0.7mm
Cordless circ saw has a thin kerf blade of I think 1.7mm
But I would also imagine a fine tooth tenon saw or even a hacksaw would be the cheapest way : easiest to find or borrow .

Rig up some sort of saw guide and just do it with a tenon saw. ArtieFufkin shows one in the luthier thread but it needn't be that complicated for your purposes Luthiers...

Many thanks guys for helping. I'm sorry if I didn't make my problem totally clear.

The use of a saw is the obvious solution but as the slot has been made with a small circular saw type blade I think, it hasn't been taken right through the end - ie it is stopped and the radius of the stop might give me an idea of the blade diameter. The stop though can be thought of as decorative only really, so if I don't find another solution, a saw cut might be the solution.

I will have a look at the mutlitool as that is one I hadn't thought of - and then I'm wondering what I might have in amongst the tools for the Dremel type tool.

Enough ideas so many thanks
Rob

Back