• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Found 1 5/8"ø and 1 1/2" ø centre bit for brace. Thank You.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

Major Clanger
Reaction score
like this one....

IMG_5072.JPG

Last edited:
Adam, sorry can't help with those sizes :(, but I do have these that you are welcome to have if you would like them.
Made by Mathieson i think but can't be sure as my eyesight is not the best, and they all do need some TLC. There is also a W cut into the end and I was wondering if this could have been done by my Grandad as his name was William or is that standard on these things ?.
If you can make use of them just pm me your address and I will pop them in the post :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_173225.jpg
    IMG_20220119_173225.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 23
I think gave all mine to Sheffield Tony along with a brace a few years ago for SS but will have a look to see if I have any more kicking about.

If I can find some in those sizes would scotch eye type be any use?
Thanks for replying @Tris

It was the small vertical knife cutter on the side that I was after to score the edge of the hole (like the pattern on the right), as I was removing the waste to get to the next level for carving some cusping (the one on the left).

It's a 1 5/8" ø hole and the way I'm doing it now is very slow, so I thought a centre bit that size would work perfectly.

I have a 50 of these to make and I'm going to need to speed up to protect my mental health.

IMG_5095.JPG

If that's any use you are very welcome to it, it's been sitting in a drawer for years waiting to come in useful

If that's any use you are very welcome to it, it's been sitting in a drawer for years waiting to come in useful
Thanks, I can try to adapt it by giving it to Metal Micky in the metal shop at college.

Are you looking for a loan or a permanent option? I have an adjustable that goes out to 2 inches I think.

I'd be a permanent thing as I'd prefer not to borrow peoples tools, just in case.

I'm still looking for period correct though, as I've been asked to put together a display of all the drawings, models and tools that I've used to make the thing....I might fib about the lathe though as it's too big for Ryanair.

Because he is making medieval architectural pieces and using tools and techniques of the period for an academic dissertation. Part of which is to shows tools used and modern stuff don't cut it

Its a great shape to be doing Adam. Will you be dark staining them ?.

I did a kitchen for a customer a number of years back utilizing some old church pews he had ,where he liked the bench ends and wanted them incorporated into kitchen units.
(Pops off to dig out picture)
Not quite the same, more gothic i think.
kitchen-gothic doors & cupboard.jpg

Why is an adjustable bit no good? £8.50 - they were 2 or 3 times that price back in the 1970s & 80s.
- Adjustable Flat Wood Bit 22-76 x 175mm

The adjustable bits mostly have a much shorter knife on them and it's the vertical knife on the edge that I want to use to score the circumference of the cusping to a precise depth. I'll also be rotating it in reverse and the screw centre doesn't like that.

I remove the waste and with a gouge and as Droogs said, I'd like to try it as it would have been done in 1430. Although I have used a modern lathe for expedience, but If I have time I'll make a pole lathe for the exhibition.

@TRITON

I'll probably leave it is in the first instance, but if there's a lot of variation in the colour of the timber I'll tone it down with something. Originally it would have been polychromed with bright colours, but I want to be able to see all the joints and setting out marks.

Last edited:
Back