1/ 4" trimmer router question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a Katsu either (although I have the Makita) but the comparison reviews seem to suggest it is unlikely the two units are sourced form the same manufacturer given the subtle difference in design and overall quality. This would suggest different tooling and different manufacture processes.
you could well be right, though I think any crossover in manufacturing was a few years ago (possibly ended by the release of the katsu machine, undercutting their client), so any current differences in design may be an evolution from that point. All conjecture based on previously read reviews etc

you could well be right, though I think any crossover in manufacturing was a few years ago (possibly ended by the release of the katsu machine, undercutting their client), so any current differences in design may be an evolution from that point. All conjecture based on previously read reviews etc
Sounds very plausible.

Trying to remember how to remember the way I picked up to not forget direction, based on Flemings left & right hand rules in electrical engineering.

So if brain is on the ball then:

Handheld use left hand, thumb and finger at right angle. With thumb pointing at workpiece the finger is the direction of travel.

Router table, do the same but use right hand.

Yell if I have forgoten!
To avoid a climbing cut the router tool should move in the same direction as the bit cutter as it engages the timber.
Router.png

I’ve always found the easiest way to remember which direction to cut is to think of the router bit as a wheel. If that ‘wheel’ touches the ground it will naturally attempt to travel in the direction of its spin.

The ‘safest’ cut direction (where you’ll be in most control) is always to push the router in the OPPOSITE direction.

This simple ‘rule’ obviously works whether or not your using a handheld device (cutting from above - spin direction appears/is clockwise) or a router table (cutting from below - spin direction appears anti-clockwise). You just have to take a moment to consider which one you have.

Back