1/4" router bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in need of a groove cutter for my 1/4" trend router and I have checked out the likes of Wealden and Axminster but to no avail.
The plan is to put together a shaker-style door that would house a 6mm MDF panel and so I need something like a 6.35mm groove cutter. Having used Peter Millard's link they have been out of stock forever.
Amazon stocks something similar but I'll rather avoid it based on reviews, the brand name, and I like to buy once and cry once as someone stated on another thread.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think of using a straight but bit as I was just in a one-track mind and following the guidelines.
When I looked @ Wealden I was also focusing on the heavy-duty range and not the standard range.

So my options are the standard range from Wealden or this from Axminster. I am leaning towards the latter as I'll be able to use it for rebates etc in the future.
I'm happy to consider the Wealden product if anyone feels it might be a better option for whatever reason.

Thanks.

The winged type from Wealden will be easier to use as your router will be sat on the flat of the MDF rather than the edge which it would need to be with the straight cutter.

If you are making them Peter Millard style with the loose tenons I would definitely go for the winged style as you will struggle to groove the ends of the rails with a straight bit.

I have only used the HD range because you get a depth of 22mm and I only use them in a router table but @Sporkys right in that there is a std range with a 1/4 arbour but only 13.6mm cutting depth,

as you will struggle to groove the ends of the rails with a straight bit.
Unless you have a Woodrat!

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think of using a straight but bit as I was just in a one-track mind and following the guidelines.
When I looked @ Wealden I was also focusing on the heavy-duty range and not the standard range.

So my options are the standard range from Wealden or this from Axminster. I am leaning towards the latter as I'll be able to use it for rebates etc in the future.
I'm happy to consider the Wealden product if anyone feels it might be a better option for whatever reason.

Thanks.
Hi There,

I have used the slot cutters from Wealden and find that they cut far better than the traditional straight cutters. However my slot cutter was a 1/2" shank in a router table which in my view is a much safer and accurate way to machine this type of joint.
Hope you get sorted to your satisfaction.

Thanks Guys.
The slot cutter seems to be the way to go but I ideally wanted to make use of the cutting depth of 22mm. My Trend T5v2 router is compatible with an 8mm collet but the 6.35mm groover is out of stock, so I'll have to settle for the standard cutter which has a max of 13.6mm cutting depth.
It does however surprise me that 6.35mm and ones around the same size and hard to come by.

Assuming you're using the router in a table, you could use a narrower groove cutter and take two passes. That's what I'd do, I don't like dimensions to be dictated by the size a tool happens to be.

Assuming you're using the router in a table, you could use a narrower groove cutter and take two passes. That's what I'd do, I don't like dimensions to be dictated by the size a tool happens to be.

Thanks for that. We learn every day!!! I will indeed be using a router table.

Back