1/4" or 6mm Hardboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if 1/4" (6mm) hardboard is still manufactured and available? I am after the stuff which is smooth on both faces.

Was it known as "Masonite"? anyway any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

I've never come across 6mm hardboard, but if you go for some, definitely try the oil impregrated exterior grade, which is far superior to the standard stuff. 'Masonite' is or was the term used in the USofA if memory serves - Rob

My local panel supplier has 6.4mm hardboard but it is one smoothe sid eonly in standard, oil tempered and white painted face.

I think MDF has replaced the demand for smooth both sides.

J

I had the impression that MDF had replaced hardboard, just thought I would ask in case it was called something else..

Thanks J.

David

Bluekingfisher":zqrr5kp6 said:
Thanks Rob, Would I just ask for oil impregnated hardboard?? Is it a dark brown colour
Yup...ask for oil tempered or exterior hardboard. It's very dense stuff and has hardly any of the 'fluffy' :evil: qualities of ordianary hardboard. If you can get hold of it, it's good stuff - Rob

Rob is the oil tempered you get smooth both sides, when I buy it from several sources it is always textured one side, agreed it is less fluffy than the not tempered stuff.

Latest posts

Back