1/4 inch collet for collet extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcott

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a ‘Fox’ brand router collet extension with a 1/2 inch shank to a 1/2 inch collet.

Can anyone please suggest where I might try to obtain a 1/4 inch collet and nut to fit this make of extension.

The nut that came with the 1/2 inch collet needs a 30 mm spanner but I don’t know what size the thread is. The diameter across the threads is 25 mm.

Thank you
John

Hi Pete

Thank you for the suggestion of a collar. I had a look at them on the Trend site and noted that they only recommend it as a short term solution.
Would you agree with this assessment.
I have also considered getting a new collet extension, such as the CMT version, sold by Screwfix, which comes with a 1/2 inch collet. I could then buy the available 1/4 inch collet exchangeable with the 1/2 inch one. I could sell my then redundant ‘Fox’ extension.
However, the CMT design of collet seems to differ from the Trend version.
Have you come across the CMT type, and if so, how do you rate it?

John

hi John,

I'm by no means an expert in this - I've only recently started using a router table - but I'm on the same quest for a collet extension. I took a good look at the CMT effort last weekend (he had 5 in stock), but to me seemed like the machining was sloppy, the whole thing was rather flimsy and the clincher for me was that the collet would not stay seated in the collet nut. So, when the thing is tightened up, the collet stayed jammed in the shaft, which means that it'l be hard to get the bit out! One unit even had the collet nut on at an angle. Poor quality control then.

Alternatively, I looked at the Axcaliber version - seemed much better made, more substantial and can get ER20 7mm-6mm collet to fit.

Others will probably disagree but it looked a much better piece of kit to me. In fact, if anyone has an opinion on the Axcaliber offering, I'd be pleased to hear it!

I would also agree that the reduction collar is a temporary fix.

Kieron.

starcott":1dgnxh9s said:
Hi Pete

Thank you for the suggestion of a collar. I had a look at them on the Trend site and noted that they only recommend it as a short term solution.
John

Strange, most routers come with them as standard, maybe Trend just want you to buy the more expensive solution :shock:

Pete

I have the Axminster extension in my router table, and I can recommend it. It is a very well made piece of kit in my opinion. You buy one extension body + nut, then whatever size collets you need for your various bit shank sizes. The ER20 exchangeable collets click into a groove in the nut; they are easy to inserts and easy to remove, yet I've never experienced the collet coming adrift and getting stuck in the body. I've had no problem with bits moving in the collet, nor with removing the bit after use (a problem I experienced nearly every time with the extension I previous used).

I realise this thread is slightly old now, but I am having a real hard time finding a 1/4 inch extension collet. I am trying to find one that accepts shanks from 6mm to 8mm.

It is intended to be used in the Bosch POF 1400 ACE 1400 Watt Router that I have.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

+1. 1/4" bits are best aoided because they simply lack the beef for anything other than light cuts.

Jim

Latest posts

Back