1/2 router recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarmez

Reaction score
I'm after a 1/2inch router, the first job will be cutting down kitchen worktop, but I can also think of times where having it in a table would be really useful for some projects I might want to do. This is for DIY use, most likely occasional use, however, I have decided to try and replace my woodworking tools with better quality ones as they're the ones I use the most and sometimes I think maybe I'll get a straight/better cut with a more expensive tool! :p

I have three thoughts:

1. By an old ELU from ebay, I have 96e I picked for £40 locally and love it. It's a dream to use and particularly enjoy free handing with it.

2. I noticed the Trend T7 is going very cheap at the moment. I couldn't really dig much up on it and wondered what people thought about it.

3. Buy a Triton (whatever the 2100W is or do I need that much power?) because I really like all the bells and whistles it has especially the rack and pinion adjustment both on the handles, and the top

1 & 2 and the circa 100ish, however, the triton would be quite a large investment. Also, the T7 and Triton have a lot more bells and whistles than an old elu.

TIA

James

As a heavy user of routers, who subscribed to Ron Pauk's idea of having a router for every bit 😎,I have 2 elu177e ,a clue silver line 1/2" routers, a fessie 1010 and the big Triton. My preference is always reach for my ancient Elu.
The Trend T7 is a direct descendant of this old workhorse, so if you can score an Elu 👍go for it, but replace the brushes and listen to the bearings.

Hth.

Karl

I use a Makita RP2301FCK. Built like a tank but surprisingly light to use. Comes with a good accurate micro adjustable fence.

I'd go with brands that are associated with being a good source of well built machines like the Elu. The Makita 3612 is also a bullet proof machine and can be had for decent prices as well, the 3612c model is the preferred option in my opinion. The problem with second use machines though, especially good ones is that they get used a lot and as pointed out up there ^ will likely need some parts replacing. This can be a skeet shoot if the replacement parts don't achieve the desired result and can be counter productive financially.

Also, I appreciate I'm probably not popular in saying this but can't say I've been impressed with Triton routers. I bought a new TRA001 some years back to permanently house in a router table and whilst I accept I may have just had one from a bad batch it comes across as a cheap tool to me. That said, the concept of decent router machines can be a very long sliding scale. I've recently added the Festool 2200 and accessory pack to my line up and that was financially painful (nearly £1,200), took some time to bite that bullet but not one regret since first use - but then the tool will pay for itself in my instance.

If your looking to replace current tolling with better tooling, another +1 for something like an Elu but I'd be inclined to avoid a blind purchase if you can avoid it - not an easy task these days.

I've been very pleased with my fairly recent purchase of a Triton TRA001. Its first job was to cut out the insert from a slab of 30mm Birch Ply for the router table top, which it did with ease. Since then it has been under the said table and works extremely well as it has its own raiser. It is a powerful machine with soft start and auto locking spindle for cutter changes. If you want a lighter hand held router you could look at the MOF001 or JOF001. Having said this I have a old 800W Dewalt 1/4 " that I still use and like a lot for trimming work. I borrowed my mate's Elu 1/4" to cut the tracks in the router table; it already had the right sized cutter in it so he just handed the router over as he'd recently replaced the bearings and serviced it so wanted to know what I thought. I must say it is a great machine. But for under the table the TRA001 is excellent.

I have come to the conclusion that routers are very personal tools, some like one model, others don't.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Fortunately, I have been very lucky and my Dad said I can have is ELU 177e as he doesn't use it much. It cost £90 25 years ago he said. Thanks for the input everyone, I'll keep my eye out for the Makita seeing as it seems to have been recommended a lot.

I did say I would get my Dad a 1/4" in exchange as he said he thought he might use that more. Do most people recommend the Dewalt for that size?

When you go to the 8mm / 1/4" size you get into the router or trim router choice. I have a Makita RT0 trimmer with a few base options which was bought to trim some edges on a large project - it has been a handy tool to have around since. I don't know how the build quality stacks up against the Katsu's and the Lidl/Adli equivalents but there are plenty of happy users online and they look very similar - at that price point you can't really go wrong. The Dewalt 1/4/trim versions look the business as well but the cost starts to go up again when you look at those.

As a heavy user of routers, who subscribed to Ron Pauk's idea of having a router for every bit 😎,I have 2 elu177e ,a clue silver line 1/2" routers, a fessie 1010 and the big Triton. My preference is always reach for my ancient Elu.
The Trend T7 is a direct descendant of this old workhorse, so if you can score an Elu 👍go for it, but replace the brushes and listen to the bearings.

Hth.

Karl
Hi Karl
I am with you on this one I worked in a school with lots of kids wanting to work with wood. We had 8 router tables the best being Trend but most of the others were Aldi devices all mounted on standard size boards that slid into a tall storage rack. It saved an amazing amount of time as a small scissor jack allowed easy height adjustments to be made. So a variety of slots, rebates and edge profiles could easily be made with common dust extraction to a big Nilfisk hoover. A bit excessive for a home set up but we justified it on the time saved in changing bits and the time it took to make drawers where multiple router operations were carried out.

I bought a couple of Hitachi 3hp x1/2" routers.....
one is perm under the router table the other for free hand use.....
close to 25years old now, done a lot of work in that time, still quiet (bearings) and work well......
et

Personally I would only want the Triton Tra001 in a table, not a nice beast handheld when compared to the Dewalt 625 which I find great in the Woodrat with a plunge bar and handheld. Look at other post in these forums, there has been a lot of discussion on routers, tables and lifts. You really need to know exactly what you will end up wanting to do rather than the immediate requirement, and you should look at the router in a table and handheld as different tools unless you want the trouble of puting it in and out of a table. This way you can get the right table setup and also something thats good handheld.

As Spectric has said the TRA is great for table use but a beast for handheld. It feels very heavy after a fairly short while and can be a bit cumbersome to move around. I use a MOF as my handheld machine as it is excellently ballanced re weight and power. i use it for all the big handheld stuff I need and also have a JOF for lighter joinery trimming type work. For smaller more intricate stuff I use the Katsu clone of the Makita 700 series routers. You can use any router both in a table and in the hand, but it becomes a major PITA swapping it out all the time. Think of the type of work you will do and get the machine best suited in power and physical size. The Tritons all have the advantage that they have 1/4" 1/2" 8mm and 12mm colletts made by the manufacturer for then and are completely interchangeable should the need arise. Oh and of course built in over table adjustment if fitted in a table.

Thanks all for your input and it now seems that I need to buy two routers :D. One 1/2" handheld and something to go in the table.

Personally I would only want the Triton Tra001 in a table, not a nice beast handheld when compared to the Dewalt 625 which I find great in the Woodrat with a plunge bar and handheld. Look at other post in these forums, there has been a lot of discussion on routers, tables and lifts. You really need to know exactly what you will end up wanting to do rather than the immediate requirement, and you should look at the router in a table and handheld as different tools unless you want the trouble of puting it in and out of a table. This way you can get the right table setup and also something thats good handheld.

Thanks, I have not heard of woodrat. Also thanks to everyone else for suggesting I look at tables and lifts it does seem I need to make a decision about what I actually want from a table machine and hand held machine.

Thanks again all.

Like with any tool, two fundermental questions should be answered. Is it built to a good engineering & quality standard and will the manufacturer support it propely even when its older and out of warranty?

Some have already suggested Elu routers and nothing wrong with that. For those that are not familiar with what happened to Elu - they was taken over by Trend. Their models were so good that Trend based their designs on them; now being the T10, T11 and T5 series and still going strong after many years. Even Dewalt routers are very similar to the Trend. The T7 well not sure what's gone wrong here but this is not a patch on the their older range.

For me, like many many trade and craft persons, Trend are one of the very best and tick the right boxes. There back up and technical support is second to none.

Some manufacturers are knocking out machines that are cheaper but will they be around in years to come and above all will they support there product in the longer term, meaning you will have to spend more of your hard earnt cash on another new machine when after all; a replace part would have got your old machine working again.

The Trend T7 is absolutely identical in looks to the Erbauer router I bought for about £90 5 years ago.

My Katsu trim router was crazily cheap, is used several times a week and is going strong after 3 years. Not a classic by any means but everyone who has come to our workshop who owns one themselves loves theirs too. Cheers. Nick.

Back