1/2-Inch Shank, that slots ~6mm or 1/4"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a UK supplier of 1/2" shank slot cutters, with a slot of 6mm or just over, e.g. 1/4" or 6.3mm.
Seems most of what I find is 1/4" shank - I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but can't seem to find anything in the UK...

All I can find in the UK is 1/4" shanks for that size slot, but I'd prefer a 1/2" shank so that I don't have to use an adapter.

Any ideas?
I can get a US one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-14181-Slo ... B00KZM1PUW
but would prefer to find a UK supplier.

Thanks

Yeah, I've struggled with this, and I have no idea why. My damn adapter isn't perfect, either, and sets up nasty vibrations. That renders the conversion useless.

I reckon the best answer is a plough plane!! :)

phil.p":acqzonku said:
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Groover_134.html
They are all 1/4"... Hence the issue

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

phil.p":1doedo2d said:
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Arbor_Standard_133.html

1/2" shank, 1/4" where the cutter fits. :D
Ahh! Got it, thanks Phil!!

If you go down this route think about extra bearings, spacers and shims - the cost of the parts is less than the P&P if you order them separately. It doesn't hurt to have a spare.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I first posted.

phil.p":1o07l90p said:
If you go down this rout think about extra bearings, spacers and shims - the cost of the parts is less than the P&P if you order them separately. It doesn't hurt to have a spare.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I first posted.

That's good advice, thanks Phil!

Thanks. I've used Axi, trend, Rutlands, but never wealdons..

Cheers

Hello
Sorry, I don't have the answer for sourcing the tool your after.
I have a question about this.
I'm wondering if your looking for this router bit to cut slots accurately to 6mm?
On a metalwork course I was on, an accurate cut would have to have a smaller bit than the desired
slot width, as the bit would climb cut on one side of the slot creating little ridges.
Is this not the case with timber aswell?

Thanks
Tom

Tom, If you hold the wood down firmly to the router table then the bit cuts accurately and true.
This can be done with feather boards if you cant hold the piece down safely with your hands.
And of course rate of feed is very important on a router , push too hard and the bit will try to go somewhere else. push too slow and the wood will get friction burns from the bit.

I'm using this for 6mm MRMDF panels in shaker doors. Also, using 6.xmm gives me .xmm extra space for glue and manufacturing fluctuations, so I find a (very) slightly bigger gap works well.

Back