1 1/2" Union Graduate dual LH/RH threaded faceplates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minilathe22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Sadly now that The Toolpost are closing down, I have not seen anyone else that sells faceplates that have the dual threaded 1 1/2" Whitworth thread. For a Union Graduate lathe this is very convienent as it allows the same faceplate to be mounted on either side of the headstock.

Are there any suppliers out there? I debated having a go at cutting the Left hand thread into an existing Righthand only thread on a metal lathe, I wonder if there are any pitfalls to look out for when doing this. Do the left and right hand thread have to be aligned in any way? Or can I just start the lefthand thread at any point relative to the righthand one?

Update for anyone who wants a dual threaded faceplate for the Union Graduate, LRE Machinery will sell you some if you call them, 3" to 8" diameter:

L.R.E Machinery & Equipment Co. Accessories

Beaufort Ink now sell the Versachuck ISO faceplates with 1 1/2" dual threaded, but not any larger faceplates:

Beaufort Ink - Versachuck backplates

Axminster only sell M33 x 3.5 faceplates (and other smaller threads) it seems. They used to sell 1 1/2" 6tpi RH only ones but have since stopped.

I have no association with any of the above companies other than being a satisfied customer.

Looks like Beaufort Ink now sell Union Graduate faceplates in 3 sizes, with the dual threading, so at least there are two suppliers now. I don't have a Graduate anymore myself now though.

Back