044/050/405

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I've 'inherited' a couple of planes. One is an 050 complete with full set of unused cutters etc in a nice box with an inside label for a 405. So, when is an 050 a 405 or vice versa or are they one and the same thing?. Also had an 044 stuffed in there to!

I fear... The Slope is near! :(

Now why is it that the only tools I've inherited consist of an out-of-square square, a glass cutter and a wotsit that no-one seems to know what it's for...? :?

Ike, get thee to my Shrine to the Boat Anchor and study the Blood & Gore links for the Stanley #50 and #45. They're the Stanley equivalents of the Records, or rather vice versa. That'll give you the best chance of understanding the differences; after that it's tedious explanation as the only option. (Be afraid... :wink: ) There's also a couple of other links that may be of interest.

The #044 is unique to Record (and Marples IIRC), and the nearest thing to a metal version of the old wooden ploughs. Only just acquired one myself.

Cheers, Alf

Ike i too kid of inherited #50 and a #78 prhaps we should compare wounds after we use them :lol: tbh i used the #50 when i ws about 15 to make some T&G board for a cabin bed i made for myself did not find it too bad to use as with all hand tools practice makes shavings

p.s just noticed where your from i used live in dursley cough cough and went to go to stratford college and did a YTS many moons ago for JF Hopsons in stroud (hammer) small world

Back