043/044/50 long and short rods?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just been to the Great Dorset Steam Fair on Friday and walked my legs to stumps!
Had a good day out and bought a few bits and pieces but no local Boot prices :cry:

One thing I got was a length of 7mm silver steel rod for some short rods for my 043, worked out just fine. I then thought I would get some for my 044 and 50 but when I measured them with a vernier (plastic one) I got a diameter of 9.8mm.
Apparently you can only get stock sizes of 9, 9.5 and 10mm so am I wrong on the diameter or do I need special suppliers for this material, (all 2 feet or so of it!!)?
Regards
Martin

3/8"...? 8) Just 'cos they went metric in one place, don't start expecting consistency. :wink: But d'you not have any short rods with your #044 anyway?

Cheers, Alf

9.8 is closer to 25/64ths than 3/8ths but over 7/64ths silver steel only comes in 32nds upto 1/4 then 1/16th increments after that but is still made in imperial sizes.

Could it be that the holes are 10.0mm with the rods a touch smaller or you could ream the holes out to 10.0mm. and use 10.0mm rod

Jason

Alf & Jason
Silly old me. I'm so used to doing it metric, didn't even think of the Imperial equivalent...doh!
Thanks folks!
Martin
(who somehow seems to have set of short rods now....) :wink:

Jason, you just won me a bet with myself; I just knew someone would point that out. :wink: The 3/8" is based on my going out to the workshop and actually measuring the rods on my #044 with - not plastic - vernier calipers.

Cheers, Alf

Alf
Ordered some 3/8" silver steel and stainless steel rod from www.nogginend.com and when it arrived it is very loose in both the 044 and Stanley 50 whose rods both come out at 9.8mm as I said before. The new '3/8' rod comes out at 9.4mm, (both on my plastic vernier). However the nogginend data sheet gives 3/8" as 9.525mm.
Looking like reaming out to 10mm is the way to go and getting 10mm rods :? :?
Regards
Martin

Tsk. I blame Europe. Evidently you can't get decent imperial sized stuff any more. :roll: Before you play with the plane (which will likely pipper up the rods you already have), have you access to a lathe (woodturning will do) and some patience? I've applied both file and abrasive to metal rod before now to get the right size. If you have access to engineering facilities, so much the better.

Cheers, Alf

MAHKING51 WROTE:
when it arrived it is a very loose fit in both the 044 and Stanley 50

ALF WROTE:
have you access to a lathe (woodturning will do) and some patience? I've applied both file and abrasive to metal rod before now to get the right size.

Is this a particularly Cornish way of making a loose thing tighter? :p :p

Seriously Alf, good idea, after all 0.2mm off off 10mm can't be that hard?
.......can it????
Regards
Martin

mahking51":2onw21ps said:
MAHKING51 WROTE:
when it arrived it is a very loose fit in both the 044 and Stanley 50

ALF WROTE:
have you access to a lathe (woodturning will do) and some patience? I've applied both file and abrasive to metal rod before now to get the right size.

Is this a particularly Cornish way of making a loose thing tighter? :p :p
:roll: Obviously that was in reference to the 10mm rods. Not even the Cornish can make things bigger by removing material - although they'd probably give it a shot on the off-chance...

Cheers, Alf

Definitely NOT Cornish

If it helps, I have reduced the diameter of metal rods by chucking them in my drill press and then running sandpaper up and down while they spin (It is possible to remove serious amount of metal this way, and it how I have ground down old steel spade bit shafts to make awls).

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is what I have used to make #45 & #55 rods. It appears it would work for you as well. Shipping shouldn't be too bad.

Back