“F” clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royckk

Reaction score
I’m looking to get some new clamps for woodwork, I like the look of some of the F clamps but not sure whether to go for the ones with the crank handles or the straight handles taking into account my grip is not what it used to be I wonder if the the straight handles are harder to tighten. Thanks for any help.

You can bear down harder on a cranked handle, but they can be awkward when using lots of clamps on a small object, as the neighbouring clamp can foul the swing of the handle.

Lidl heavy duty f-clamps are in stores since yesterday for 9 euros, it might be different in the UK though. the ones in orange called powerfix or something like that.

Aldi sell heavy duyt f-clamps also, 2 quid cheaper, but you have to buy two.
These are a bit lighter duty than the Lidl ones.
Two sets to choose from, a decent size and a longer one, or two medium.
These are the black handled ones called workzone, I got a big and a small pack x2

I like having both brands, but feel the Lidl ones are a bit heavy for what I use them for, so far.
You can get a real good effortless crank on these, especially the Lidl ones.

What's probably he next size f clamps down from this are those cheap poundshop clamps
with red wooden handles and black jaws, I think it might be 80mm throat on them.
Silverline sell 600mm capacity f clamps on eBay with the same throat depth.
These are the blue ones that have a hinge on them, they are cheap and I find these definitely are better for your hands than the other ones, as it can be hard on them.
The cheapest looks to be listed on the bay as ...
Pack of 4 X F Clamps Bar Clamp Heavy Duty 600mm x80mm 24"" Long Quick Slide Wood
That's where I bought mine, £17.45 for four, and free postage to UK.

Good to have both but more of the silverline.
You might be able to get them shorter, I believe these are the longest length with that size throat.

I can take some better pics of them specifically later if it interests
Tom

Attachments

• clamps 2.JPG
    clamps 2.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 276
  • clamps 1.JPG
    clamps 1.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 275
Took some better shots of these clamps, bought another two Lidl ones last night
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Tom

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 787
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 794
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 263
Setch":2jer8mrj said:
You can bear down harder on a cranked handle, but they can be awkward when using lots of clamps on a small object, as the neighbouring clamp can foul the swing of the handle.

They also limit being used against an adjoining bit of wood - but there's a way to have both, buy the handled ones then drill a hole near the middle for an inserted screwdriver crank should you need it.

I can tell you the following facts about clamps.

1. You never have enough, obviously.
2. Whichever clamp you have, it is the wrong size/shape for the job.
3. Always buy a clamp if you see it for sale, no matter what.
4. Clamps are never long enough. You can use a big clamp on small work, but you can't make short clamps longer (I know - I've tried).

So, in answer to your original question, you need both types of clamps, in different sizes, and adequate numbers. I think it is fair to say that there is no such thing as a bad clamp, especially if it is your last one, and you need another three, and you already glued up. Doh! (homer)

I've got a number of these clamps from Tilgear.
clamp.jpg
They're really well made and have a smooth action which means you can put a high load on with minimum of force on the handle. Also the barrel screw mechanism minimises any deflection of the pressure pad. Not cheap but they'll last a lifetime
Brian

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 186
Nothing stopping anyone from drilling a set of holes into any F clamp, buying a suitable 20 foot steel length for about ten or fifteen quid shouldn't break the bank.

Those Urko clamps look great, How long have you had'em?
Have you damaged the pads on any?

Forgot to mention durability in my posts :roll:
It won't come as a surprise to you folks to know that the pads are exactly the same on the Silverlines
as on the red handled ones.
I have lost the pads on a few of the red ones, and one or two of the many Silverlines I bought also.
The Aldi and Lidl ones have been fine, with no sign of damage.
Some of the Aldi ones done time in the metalshop and came out alive!
Big hefty G-clamps have been known to fail with the farmer antics that occurs there. :p

Tom

Yojevol":2ulat5td said:
I've got a number of these clamps from Tilgear. They're really well made and have a smooth action which means you can put a high load on with minimum of force on the handle. Also the barrel screw mechanism minimises any deflection of the pressure pad. Not cheap but they'll last a lifetime
Brian

Plus one for these however looking at the picture in the link they appear to have changed slightly

on mine there is a double thread which minimizes cranking plus the end of the thread has an hex end which allows a spanner or socket to be used for more torque (and trust me the clamps will take it)

Do any of you folks with the same as my cheap clamps do some fettling to them?
I am wondering now, if it might be worth doing some piening on the pads, or maybe a spot of weld even.
The piening needs done on the bar to keep the heads from slipping anyway on these cheap yokes. (see poundshop clamp)

Interested to see what solutions folks have, as I have been using wee hardwood block off cuts and the likes.
Thanks
Tom

phil.p":2vcnb55z said:
... but you can't make short clamps longer ...

You can, sash cramps - you just bolt them together.

This is why I come here - I don't have any sash cramps, but I definitely will be getting some now. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back