£5k budget for panel saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Doing a bit of research and looking into a panel saw (sheet material) for around £5K. Have been looking at the Felder range but seems a few models are around this price tag. Can anyone pass over any advice on these models or an other alternatives.

Thanks

Andy,
I just asked a similar question about planer thicknessers.
Seems difficult to get general info when the spending jumps to this level.
Fingers crossed that you receive some sound advice.....can't help you this time.

I would say the reason for the general lack of information is that most of the members are "Hobbyists", although there are a few "in the trade" so most of us consider £5k on a panel saw, even if not out of their price range , but not justifiable for the amount of time spent in the workshop..

I dont think ALL my tools amount to £5K let alone spending that amount on one..

Please define what you mean by panel saw. Do you need an 8ft rip, i.e. a true panel saw, or would a half-size rip, i.e. 4ft be enough?

If an 8ft rip is what is needed then will the use be industrial or trades? (I'm assuming this isn't a hobby request)

Personally I don't think there's much by way of quality saws available new at that price - you really have to budget £7.5 to £12.5k to get a durable 8ft rip panel saw. If you'd lkike to refine the criteria I'm sure that Dom, myself and a few other true panel saw users could give you some useful feedback

Regards

Scrit

Scrit. We are at the early stages of setting up so not sure if we jump straight in with a larger machine or purchase a smaller one and upgrade later. The budget is not fixed but we have alot more machinery to purchase as well, so don't want to use it all on one item.

An 8 foot rip would be nice but if this is going to be outside our budget then we will have to work around it. I have been looking at the new Felder machines (500,700 and hammer ranges) as these seem to offer a solution within our budget. Do you have any experience with any of these?

Just out of interest what sort of price are we looking at for a second hand F45?

Hi Andy

If you'd like to short-circuit the forum a wee bit and talk to me on this, please PM me for my (opinionated) views having been a (modern) Wadkin and Altendorf owner and having used a few others. For Felder either Dom Valente or Felderman would be able to fill you in from personal experience whilst I know that Senior is another trade panel saw user

Regards

Scrit

Hi Andy.

Felders are good machines but I don't think 5k will get you the size of panel saw you want, as you say there is the Hammer range, a friend( shopfitter) recently bought one and he is very happy with it.

As I said the machines are good, customer care in my experience and at least two other members is not.
Should you order do not expect the machine to arrive on the specified date.
Then of course there is the second hand market, Felder carry some and also http://www.scosarg.co.uk/

Latest posts

Back