£13000 Mitre Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
How much woodworking would you have to do to justify the purchase?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 16.27.38.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 16.27.38.png
    225 KB · Views: 709
None at all. You'd lock it in a cupboard, and wait for it to appreciate in value. If you were a bit more public-spirited, you'd make it available to tool historians to study.

But USE it … :shock:

Only one snag you it might take a few generations before you break even.

Just found a Norris improved mitre plane on David Stanleys website sell for £2600 in 2015

You could get 2 or 3 brand new Holtey's for that money

or even cheaper buy Jim Kingshotts book and make your own.

RXH did

sorry I've re-joined and can't do links

It's crazy that they want that kind of money for it, I understand it's rare / one of a kind but surely they're not honestly expecting to actually get £13000 for it?

For that kind of money, you could buy a really nice machine planer that would plane all four sides of a board and straighten it all in one pass! And then you would probably have some change left over to buy a large sander to sand all the faces too!

I wonder how much it would depreciate in value with every shaving taken if you used it :lol:

I've got 3 of them. They are useless. I have literally spent hours thinking about making beautifully crafted furniture the world would treasure. Nothing happened. Literally. Nothing. WTF!
Like I say. Useless. Waste of money. This is not what I won the Euro lottery for. By now I should be a master cabinet maker and no matter how much I think about how good I should be for owning 3 of these planes nothing happens. Proper waste of money. Don't bother...
I even had a guy round to french polish it and sharpen the metal bit in the middle part section. Still nothing! I'm probably going to give up my new hobby of 'wooding' soon anyway and get a dog instead...
They have a meet up regularly at a roadside woodland spot locally judging by some phone numbers I saw written on the wall in the 'Gents' of the local pub. *Thumbsup
Who needs the internet. I'm sourcing locally from now on. It's all the rage. What with the Ecology and that.
Can't wait.
So long 'Woodaling'. It's not you it's me. Time to move on to a more skilful and involved hobby where I can improve over time.
Cheers
Chris.
(Euro Millions winner)

Trevanion":rlxrcmj9 said:
It's crazy that they want that kind of money for it, I understand it's rare / one of a kind but surely they're not honestly expecting to actually get £13000 for it?

Not an expert on the 'high end' of the vintage tools market, but suspect this may be one of those 'ask for tuppence, take a penny' situations. The real gen-boys will have a fair idea about actual current market value, and will make an offer accordingly - highest offer secures.

If it were mine (ha! fat chance ... ), I think I'd pop it in the next David Stanley auction rather than on Ebay. Especially with that 'free delivery' thing - don't suppose the buyer would be too impressed when Hermes lob it over his back gate.

I noticed the seller is teaandteak. Had a Norris plane on ebay some time ago for £13 k. Most of their stuff is in the thousands.

Nigel.

I've seen this with other ebay items where the seller has forgotten to put in a decimal point. i.e £130.00 maybe? :)

EDIT: Ignore that. Clearly not the case for this item. #-o

Nigel Burden":pebgc7yz said:
I noticed the seller is teaandteak. Had a Norris plane on ebay some time ago for £13 k. Most of their stuff is in the thousands.

Nigel.

I've bought from the seller, but only mundane things like cleaned up moulding plane sets and I think a few paring chisels or a gaggle of carving tools. To say they are progressive about anything that's at all out of the ordinary is an understatement, though!!

to be fair, some domestic sellers here do the same thing. Mundane tools are reasonable (or they wouldn't sell, plus it makes your pricing seem reasonable in general) and anything unusual at all is 3x typical sale price. Maybe there's a secondary reason, like ebay is a draw and the seller is hoping to get connected to buyers who are going to be repeat buyers at a lower cost. who knows.

I think chesirechappie has it - its just advertising. In the unlikely event someone does buy it at 13k then he's won extra big. The high end of most collecting hobbies is a bit of a closed shop - all the big boys know each other and these things pass around between them and rarely come out into the open.

Latest posts

Back