Your thought on this workshop layout please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratkinsonuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Too cluttered, or would be OK?

Workshop%20Layout.jpg

Hi,
My first thought is that it looks tight on space for the table saw. By my reckoning you will not be able to cut the length of a full 8x4 sheet.
Would it be possible to make the stuff on the right hand wall movable so could get them out of the way when needed?

James

Those 3 'boxes' on the right would all be on wheels, with the possible exception of the drill press. The others will be planer/thicknesser, sanding station, etc.

I'm hoping most of the raw cutting will be done with my circular saw as I don't fancy pushing 8x4's over my table saw. I can then square and reduce them down on the table saw.

Rob.

My instinct is that you haven't the space there for a table saw. Given that you need a bench, and somewhere to work on sheet material or layout/ glue up etc, I just can't see a table saw working. Further, I can't see how you can pull a P/T far enough out into the room to work if you have that big lump in the middle.

Hi Mike.

There's a couple of feet between the window/wall and the table saw, so I'd probably design a system where I wheel the cabinet over and clamp it to the outfeed table to give the option of putting full length pieces through it. The workbench outfeed could also have pull-out panels built in, that form an outfeed for the planer (and any other machine for that matter), so that I don't have to run round the shop to catch the wood coming out and reduce the chances of snipe.

That's not to say that I'm disagreeing with anyone by the way. I wouldn't have asked the question if I wasn't dubious about the space in the first place. I think I'm going to start with essential tools (they're littered around all over the place at the moment), and organically grow it from there.

My workshop has been up and running for 10 years and I've only just gotten round to organising it properly, so I don't expect to be rushing headlong into any decisions :)

Rob.

Looks very similar to my single garage 5m x 3m. I fit my tablesaw in there fine, albeit more against a wall rather than in the centre.

I can share my plan / pics if it helps?

put the drill press in-line with chop saw
if you can get the height right so you can use the worktop for both

Steve

MattRoberts":37fkc1yl said:
Looks very similar to my single garage 5m x 3m. I fit my tablesaw in there fine, albeit more against a wall rather than in the centre.

I can share my plan / pics if it helps?

Thanks Matt - that would be really usefull

SteveF":2q574z6m said:
put the drill press in-line with chop saw
if you can get the height right so you can use the worktop for both

Steve

Cheers Steve. My original sketch had the drill on the end of the chop saw station, and that's probably where it would eventually end up depending on how things pan out. My ineptitude with the web version of SketchUp lead me to just dropping it 'wherever' for the purposes of the initial design.

A side question - has anyone bought one of the cheap £25 copies of SketchUp Pro from eBay and do they work or is it a con?

Cheers.

If it was me, I would get rid of that huge sign that says 'STORAGE' -its taking up far too much space :D

I cut a giant letter box in the end of my workshop to allow long lengths down one side of the workshop. On this wall I have the bandsaw, chopsaw and router table at the same hight to utilise the extra length the "letter box" enables me to handle. Just a thought.

ratkinsonuk":2a6a2qlh said:
Cheers Steve. My original sketch had the drill on the end of the chop saw station, and that's probably where it would eventually end up depending on how things pan out. My ineptitude with the web version of SketchUp lead me to just dropping it 'wherever' for the purposes of the initial design.

A side question - has anyone bought one of the cheap £25 copies of SketchUp Pro from eBay and do they work or is it a con?

Cheers.

I think the eBay versions are cons and would stay away from them. Is there any reason you aren't using the free SketchUp Make? This has all of the features I could ever want in a free program. I use AutoCAD at work and cannot justify the cost of SketchUP Pro.

MikeK":1t3avml9 said:
I think the eBay versions are cons and would stay away from them. Is there any reason you aren't using the free SketchUp Make? This has all of the features I could ever want in a free program. I use AutoCAD at work and cannot justify the cost of SketchUP Pro.

Thanks for the heads-up Mike.

To answer your question, I've got a pretty decent laptop at work, and the web version just hangs on me a lot of the time. The tools are difficult to get to, there's a bug with the 'Text' tool that means I have to restart my browser when I use it, and you can't manually type a length (as far as I can see).

That's just the functions I've tried so far. Pitty I don't have my 2007 Desktop version still....

you can still get the 2017 desktop version of Sketchup Make. As far as I know this will be available indefinitely, but they have no plans to do any more updates to it (only the Pro full client and web-based Make will get updates from now).
https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

nabs":2fa3h8v0 said:
you can still get the 2017 desktop version of Sketchup Make. As far as I know this will be available indefinitely, but they have no plans to do any more updates to it (only the Pro full client and web-based Make will get updates from now).
https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

I think you may have misread my post - I was talking about the version from 10 years ago, which used to be free. Everything on that link has to be purchased.

Rob.

Here you go

y4mcSDXVy0rKsi5vMQN95U5i0CszXc50BqYD_2ytzln7L1pwSxU_kujvmnl0_0mTGsnzaSfIfJxwstIMM_x6YThgBCizkcJCPyHJIyET-C0GNoolbsU5WlFqAvYHy4o3bo1jWS1bb3iifU_nASAycusRfeJ6LVd5cQVYDlFtkqwhwcGhYNEKAXqlU6EMOYjGnFfgBSqGO5kufd6rGgSnQ5afQ

y4mgMawOJPmsaLRZWWTwA21k7Jt9FxaAcTUs9Jemd5zi53DD7elGuO_7y84J5ARqiA_lXY_YU2GfT2zhyDHtjuB_k2ARG2FoKHQLR-2-LCVIIoeViflo80G8YQ_dW-NxqDo7Ms9NZxX85hV_-jTzEBrfv07WeRmEIia-Ph6icIGhrIqfvkSzfW801EBdSUDIEIoJzoILVNXhTvLMiWHQQji7Q

The big grey cylinder is my hot water cylinder, and the green one is my dust extractor / thien baffle

Excuse the mess...

y4mBP1cvq5yvCxDrTsZafC0n-3F4D-avKwViICObh2aXaTQ9Zi-M11uJiB3I5B7ib2mcz3Gx1mem5xvuXIjJ8_5_U9NIh5DLURfa5PPflqn6Ow6dM_ukuNdI2cu_XV_Ds9MLm7B695GZBC9YrT4HwdmhlJv497yXWrDelrRntGkihkVRSsd-9th-VplwzHdjtHYG2kEbivreKuazIMM1Q2gVg

Latest posts

Back