Need Block Plane - Your opinion please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I acquired something very similar (from where I have no idea) and it was absolutely dire. With the best blade in the world it would still be rubbish. I’ve kept the poor blade and use it for removing excess glue but the plane went straight in the bin.
As Roger said YGWYPF

Can you please explain why you would do this? you're clearly not short of cash else you wouldn't be buying the blade.

For whats its worth, wilko do a basic block plane for about £10

transatlantic":1ngsg7xk said:

But that's ten times as much as the one I'm considering and it would leave me £9 short for buying the Hock blade.

I feel that we maybe being trolled by sir Whisky here.

obviously I maybe wrong on that, in which case.

NO NO NO NO NO and NO.

:D

If you want a new block plane for under a tenner with a working iron in it, I reckon you're better off going for a wooden bodied Mujingfang. There have been some threads on these recently.
Do check the dimensions when ordering - the cheapest ones are very small.

whiskywill":1of3oo9v said:
transatlantic":1of3oo9v said:

But that's ten times as much as the one I'm considering and it would leave me £9 short for buying the Hock blade.

ohh - so you are just kidding :p

A Hock blade?

No, no, no!

You need PM-V2435 at the VERY LEAST! Then you'll only need to sharpen it once a decade, and it will split atoms.

(PS - You might have to flatten that plane's sole to 0.0000000001" to get the best out of the blade, though. You can do that with a piece of manky old emery cloth on a Yorkstone flag, but don't forget to lubricate it with the water of a red-headed virgin.)

novocaine":7w1q8z1w said:
I feel that we maybe being trolled by sir Whisky here.

obviously I maybe wrong on that, in which case.

NO NO NO NO NO and NO.

:D

Sorry all. I didn't think anybody would bite. It was just a bit of Friday afternoon wickedness. :D

AndyT":1h64emjd said:
If you want a new block plane for under a tenner with a working iron in it, I reckon you're better off going for a wooden bodied Mujingfang. There have been some threads on these recently.
Do check the dimensions when ordering - the cheapest ones are very small.

Thanks for the very sensible advice. I already have two Mujingfang planes and they are very good.

Well I took you seriously :oops: - I must have been worn down by some of the discussions on here over the years!

(But then again, I do have form on this sort of thing - so I looked at the chisels available from your chosen supplier - and at their exorbitant prices I think I shall stick to my usual brand! :wink: )

You may laugh!
small plane.jpg

Now I'm not sure if this is "factory" or home made.
The brass cover and locking wheel look home made, done well, the body I'm undecided about.
The Blade, though, is something else, sharpens very well, feels quality, has tempering colours still showing about half way up.
As expected, a so and so to set!!
But works well for what you'd expect from one of these, it's all in the blade.

Bod
(Who paid £3, to rescue it from the tip along with another modified 220,which looks to have the same blade, and a No.4 barely used.)

Attachments

• small plane.jpg
    small plane.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 286
They are fairly common, so must be commercially made, but strangely, no maker is proud enough of them to put their name on... :roll:

But hey, if it works, it works, even if you only use it to ease an edge and stop yourself getting splinters, so why not.

whiskywill":4vaepxu4 said:
Mode edit- please check which board you are posting to, this was in OT, thanks.

Dear moderator. I did check which board I was posting in. As it was a spoof "hand tools" thread, I thought Off Topic was more suitable. Did you even bother to read it?

They sell 1 pound planes and 2 pound chisels, and they have live chat support? Wow.

I'd make a joke, but I've found cheap chisels down to a dollar to be just fine for actually doing work. Planes, not so much.

Stick with the mujis for a block plane or buy a record 9 1/2. you don't need a low angle block plane, but if that kind of thing suits you, you can get one. I prefer the standard angle types, and the ones with an adjustable mouth because a tight mouth is nice for things like beveling small bits and pieces.

Back