Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By ED65
Glad to hear they're working well for you Sammy.

Now seems an ideal time for an update to the thread showing the current state of the plate:

Three years on and as mentioned in a few recent threads there's barely any change (except to the PVC sleeve, which is about to give up the ghost :P ) and from what I can tell it cuts just as fast as it always did.
By timothyedoran
Thanks for such a useful long term review. I hope this doesn't count as resurection of a zombie thread... Could anyone suggest an Amazon or eBay link to a UK seller for a set of stones please. I feel very guilty about postage for individual items from China. Yes I know that's where they are made.
By D_W
Jacob wrote:
Jacob wrote:............

PS oil stones do need cleaning and refreshening or they clog up and stop working. I use a 3M Diapad because I've got one, but other things will do - e.g. stainless steel pan scrubber plus white spirit. A magnet is good for lifting off the swarf.

Synthetics clog or load, but don't necessarily need anything if used in an oilbath - they'll slow down and probably not clog.

The wear of this type on the natural stones is a virtue, though. The fine oilstones aren't particularly fine unless they're allowed to settle in like this. They don't clog if used with a non-drying oil, but the air space on something like a black arkansas stone of fine quality is generally a percent or less. If it approaches 2-3%, there will be visible pores on the stone.
By D_W
timothyedoran wrote:Thanks for such a useful long term review. I hope this doesn't count as resurection of a zombie thread... Could anyone suggest an Amazon or eBay link to a UK seller for a set of stones please. I feel very guilty about postage for individual items from China. Yes I know that's where they are made.

The DMD stones are likely the same or similar spec to ultex, etc. If you find someone selling a double sided milled steel diamond plate in the UK for 25 pounds or less, it'll be the same thing. I've not had any that lack durability. Some may lack flatness, but not to an extent that they're unusable for honing - just very minor undulations. Very good quality for the price.
By Jacob
D_W wrote:
Jacob wrote:
Jacob wrote:............

PS oil stones do need cleaning and refreshening or they clog up and stop working. I use a 3M Diapad because I've got one, but other things will do - e.g. stainless steel pan scrubber plus white spirit. A magnet is good for lifting off the swarf.

Synthetics clog or load, but don't necessarily need anything if used in an oilbath - they'll slow down and probably not clog........
It seems to be bits of wire edge itself which cause a slight prob - they get embedded.
I never got around to an oil bath as I did a lot of site work - hence reliance on double sided stone and a squeezy can of oil, which is really all I use, in or out of the shop*. Got lots of other stones and stuff in a drawer though (including first I ever bought in about 1960 - a bit coarse but going strong!) I drag things out for an occasional go but they are mostly redundant. Might do a clear out and sell them. Black and White Arkansas stones anyone?
* PS and must be the answer to the OP's question: cheapest honing setup **buying new only**? Last for life, 2 or 3 quids worth of oil per annum.
By ED65
timothyedoran wrote:Could anyone suggest an Amazon or eBay link to a UK seller for a set of stones please. I feel very guilty about postage for individual items from China. Yes I know that's where they are made.

You'll just be paying more for the much the same thing; if the products look identical it might even be exactly the same thing. You're not adding carbon miles or anything like that ordering directly from a Chinese seller, the stuff has to come from China anyway so does it matter if it's in the post or in a shipping container? The planes and ships are heading this way anyway after all.

Now as to a set, you probably don't need one. Everything in between very coarse and very fine is of almost no usefulness for routine sharpening duties; it's different in other media, where the finer surfaces tend to cut more slowly, but diamonds aren't those. I have no difficulty in going from 150 straight to 1,000 and you won't either, which makes everything in the approximate range 250 to 800 basically irrelevant.

They are so cheap from China you could get one or two of the middling ones anyway, but I promise you you don't need it/them for day-to-day honing and will have little or no use for 'em in a broader sharpening context.