Yep... It's another workshop. Guttering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have now built a couple of wall shelf units for stanley organisers, screws and general stuff.
As well as sorting a wood rack of sorts, and three horizontal surface junk magnets (some people call these benches but as soon as I create a horizontal surface it seems to disappear) slowly reclaiming some floor space.....
woodrack2.JPG

woodrack1.JPG

organiser.JPG

IMG_9464.jpg

IMG_9466.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg

Attachments

• woodrack2.JPG
    woodrack2.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 2,107
  • woodrack1.JPG
    woodrack1.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • organiser.JPG
    organiser.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • IMG_9466.jpg
    IMG_9466.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 2,107
  • IMG_9464.jpg
    IMG_9464.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 2,107
  • IMG_9465.jpg
    IMG_9465.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 2,107
Nice work! I tried so hard to not let my new workshop get messy but it's really hard when you need to home everything!

As it was a nice day thought I'd get the guttering sorted.
Clip one end, clip the other end a bit lower, piece of string between them to get a nice fall. I went for 3mm per metre drop and a bracket every metre. No idea if this is correct but seemed about right. Number of brackets is probably a bit over the top (unusual for me I know)
IMG_9491.jpg

Then throw the gutter in...
IMG_9492.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9491.jpg
    IMG_9491.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,986
  • IMG_9492.jpg
    IMG_9492.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,986
1mt bracket spacing is about the limit and should be closer if you get a lot of snow, so you didn't use too many. I aim for 8/900mm.

Oh the benefit of hindsight. An update now I’ve been living with it for a while, prompted by my reply in another thread, in the hope that it helps others, as I have received so much advice.
Shall get some pics as well.

I seem to be in a constant state of reorganising the interior, now that I have some time as the bulk of the house extension is finished. It should be big enough but.....(particularly if you have to store timber, bikes, diy stuff, random rubbish) Of course it’s entirely possible that I have too much stuff :wink: :wink:

Design, design, design. Keep thinking about overall design, I thought I had it nailed down fairly well but made some school boy errors, and would do things differently (I guess we all would) Of course it depends on your use, location, projects undertaken, machinery etc.
My errors, just things I didn’t consider.
More windows needed, do not underestimate the beauty of natural light. You could always block or screen off the interior, if you’re worried about security. I thought it was nice and bright once I finished the inside, and clad with ply. Now it’s full of stuff, racking, cupboards on walls, it’s quite dark in places, lighting to be upgraded, which was always the plan. Paint the walls WHITE.

Do not underestimate the need for storage. The downside of windows/doors is they take up wall space! Floor space is important, but so is wall space. I have nowhere to store an 8x4 sheet flat against the wall because of the stupid piers I put in, and if I stand it upright it hits the ceiling! Make the walls flat ie no piers sticking out. I put two in the long length of wall, could of got away with one but then I am really happy with the extra open space and ceiling height in the open two thirds of the workshop. So I guess it’s swings and roundabouts. However the extra stoopid little half block I put in the corner to make it stronger was just that stoopid, unnecessary extra work!
Consider if you put ties between rafters have you enough room to swing a board or sheet.

You WILL need more fixings and timber and materials than you thought. Get a decent relationship going with local (If possible independant) suppliers, so it’s no hassle to put some extra 4x2 onto that next order when you realise you’ve forgotten something.

Back