Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Charley, CHJ, Noel

 Reply
By Vinn
#1330028
Yep! Excellent. Her videos move along at a fast pace yet with loads of info. She's good!

Thanks for posting
By worn thumbs
#1330036
banjerbill wrote:Her use of the unguarded table saw frightened me to death. I had to stop watching.


You are not the first.The greater danger comes from the unwary visitor who sees this sort of thing and then tries to do it.Sadly,youtube is absolutely stuffed with Americans demonstrating their constitutional right to be unwise about guards and so many novices just copy them.I think most of the more "mature" posters here will have notice the Americanisms creeping into discussions online and elsewhere.

She is a capable woodworker though and I wish her good luck with keeping her appendages.
User avatar
By transatlantic
#1330044
worn thumbs wrote:
banjerbill wrote:Her use of the unguarded table saw frightened me to death. I had to stop watching.


You are not the first.The greater danger comes from the unwary visitor who sees this sort of thing and then tries to do it.Sadly,youtube is absolutely stuffed with Americans demonstrating their constitutional right to be unwise about guards and so many novices just copy them.I think most of the more "mature" posters here will have notice the Americanisms creeping into discussions online and elsewhere.

She is a capable woodworker though and I wish her good luck with keeping her appendages.


Hardly an "American thing". There just happens to be far more American woodworking channels so it gives that impression.
By Vinn
#1330067
While I can see where you're coming from with the H&S, you just have to sort of 'get over it'. I have a guard on my saw and am not at all comfortable on the few times I've removed it. But if you stop watching videos that don't have guarded blades then you're missing out on a lot of briliant stuff such as this Japanese genius

Apart from that, you could easily make a case for insufficient dust extraction in nearly anybody's workshop (maybe nearly everyone on this forum) - would you rather lose a finger or get lung cancer?
User avatar
By thetyreman
#1330072
Vinn wrote:While I can see where you're coming from with the H&S, you just have to sort of 'get over it'. I have a guard on my saw and am not at all comfortable on the few times I've removed it. But if you stop watching videos that don't have guarded blades then you're missing out on a lot of briliant stuff such as this Japanese genius

Apart from that, you could easily make a case for insufficient dust extraction in nearly anybody's workshop (maybe nearly everyone on this forum) - would you rather lose a finger or get lung cancer?


most people on here are sensible though, you're making a lot of presumptions, and the question at the end is uncalled for, so is the patronising 'get over it'
By Vinn
#1330079
Sorry, I didn't mean 'get over it' in a patronising way. I meant you (and I) have to 'put up with it' and almost ignore it. Either that, or we have to stop watching YouTube videos.

The last question is based on a very real threat that few manufacturers do anything to address and which is a very real, but hidden, danger. Using a dust extractor pumping into the same room as you're working in can be very dangerous to anyone who uses that room.
User avatar
By woodbloke66
#1330088
'murican or nae, her use of an unguarded table saw was sadly an all too common sight on UToob, but to her credit, she did use a really good shooting board was to be commended. Personally, I don't like stuff made up from a multitude of different offcuts as to me, it looks like what it is...a box(s) made from offcuts - Rob
User avatar
By CHJ
#1330096
woodbloke66 wrote:…..., I don't like stuff made up from a multitude of different offcuts as to me, it looks like what it is...a box(s) made from offcuts - Rob


Maybe it is, but I bet there are a good many budding woodworkers on this forum who aspire to work to that accuracy of jointing and pattern matching.
User avatar
By MikeG.
#1330108
thetyreman wrote:
Vinn wrote:..... - would you rather lose a finger or get lung cancer?

the question at the end is uncalled for......


As well as being a classic false dichotomy.
User avatar
By Trevanion
#1330111
Something's got to kill you in the end, at least jumping head-first into the table saw is pretty quick compared with most other things.

Image
By MARK.B.
#1330131
liked that,the finished boxes looked ok,perhaps a little to thick for my liking. No blade guard as mentioned above but at least the riving knife was in place.
By Vinn
#1330144
MikeG. wrote:
thetyreman wrote:
Vinn wrote:..... - would you rather lose a finger or get lung cancer?

the question at the end is uncalled for......


As well as being a classic false dichotomy.


I didn't suggest at all that they were a dichotomy - you could also be electrocuted, for example, or have a 12x4 fall on your head. I was merely suggesting that there are potentially more dangerous aspects to woodworking that largely go ignored. Certainly, the act of merely watching a video of someone using an unguarded saw is probably quite safe.