Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By J-G
colinc wrote:...so should probably be pushing Sketchup anyway.

I would always recommend SketchUp - though not later than 2014 for a truly 'Free' version.

It is much easier to master than any of the AutoCAD look-alikes for anyone who is less than familiar with 'technical drawing'. I'm a time-served Tool-maker having spent quite a time in the Drawing Office but even I find AutoCAD well less than intuitive!
By stuartpaul
Downsizing means I'm about to loose my nice cosy, spacious double garage and move to a single one. I'm looking to build an 'annex' off the back of the garage that will become the hand-tool area (access by taking out existing garage window on back wall and forming opening). Initial drawing gives me a floor area of just over 14 sq metres. Roof height will also be below 2.5 m as I'm close to the boundary and don't want to have to go down the PP route if I don't have to.

Slightly confused over BR requirements. If over 15 sq metres and closer than 1 metre then the substantially non combustible clause applies. If under 15 sq metres and closer than 1 metre are there any issues to worry about? Searching the planning portal and other sites (as well as here) lead me to believe that I can timber clad and it's OK. I'm happy to use any of the cement boards if I have to.

I've attached initial design idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By MikeG.
stuartpaul wrote:....... If under 15 sq metres and closer than 1 metre are there any issues to worry about?.......

No. Your electrics will need certifying, but that's it.
By stuartpaul
Thanks Mike, appreciated.

Timber cladding on the back instead of cement board will save me a small fortune.

The build will follow your principles and I have several questions about detailing but I’ll start a separate thread when work commences.