Workshop open week end/ charity event update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I now have a date for this event, and a bit more info about what it is likely to be.
We are looking to hold the event on the 7th and 8th of June at our workshop which is on the Leicestershire/ Northamptonshire border, midway between Corby, and Market Harborough
As previously mentioned, the idea is to have an open workshop weekend, and combine this with raising some money for Macmillan cancer support http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Home.aspx. The event is limited to UK workshop members, and also members of the tools and trades history society. During the week end, a quantity of old tools, timber offcuts, sheet materials, veneers, and possibly old ironmongery will be offered to anyone who may find them of use in there woodworking projects. Nothing will be priced, but all I ask is that folks might consider making an anonymous donation for whatever they take home. Hopefully folks will take stuff they genuinely want, and not just to sell on again at a profit. :)
The other side to this event is more of a social get together, and to perhaps have a try of some tools that folks don’t usually encounter.
I.e., I will provide bench space for folks to try out traditional; wooden planes, Norris, and other forms of infill’s, and moulding planes.
There will also be a display of early woodworking tools, and Bill and Sarah Carter will also possibly be there with a selection of Bills magnificent work.
If anyone has any other specific requests or ideas, please feel free to comment.
Please let me know if anyone is interested, and if the dates work for the majority of people
Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard

It looks good for me at the moment... but I can't help thinking it would be better to concentrate on just one day - that would avoid any disappointment at having gone on the 'wrong' day, when the other people I would have liked to meet were not there. Also less risk that there were no interesting sale items left on day 2!

But whatever you decide, I'd like to come, and will if I can.

i assume if i can attend (work permitting) i can bring a few unwanted bits to "throw" in the pot?

Steve

Thanks for the comments folks.
Firstly, if anyone wants to "add to the pot" that would be great, and I was wondering what people thought of Andy's suggestion of keeping it a one day event. to be honest this would make it easier for me. The reason suggested the two days was to give as many people a chance to attend. How do folks feel about it being just the Sunday?
One more thing to mention is I'm sure many of you are aware that MAC timbers is not far from our workshop, and Mike Cawthorne has said he would be happy to be open for visitors on the same day.
Cheers, Richard

Hello Richard.
As discussed, I'd like to help out, and bring along a few of the tools I make for people to have a play with.
I can also bring some things to 'throw in the pot' as it were.
Looking forward to it.

Come on folks. It's all for a good cause, and you'll have a great day to boot!

Adam.

Hi Richard

My offer of tools stands, I have some duplicates etc to add to the pot.

I think one day would be best, you wouldn't want to turn up the second day to find every thing had gone.

Sunday would be ideal.

Pete

Sounds great.

We shall endeavour to be there ... with stuff if poss. I'm sure I have some things that might be surplus to requirement.

Hi folks. Having taken peoples comments on board, I think it will be better as a one day event on Sunday. Not only that it will give me more time to set up on the Saturday :lol:
I know this is quite a while away yet, but I will try to keep everyone informed up until the event.
Once again thanks for your support, Cheers, Richard

Just had confirmation that a regular event I attend is the week before this, so, all being well, I hope to help out with some sort of display :wink:

Cheers
Andy

Hi folks.
This is just an update to say that we are on for the Sunday 8th of June. The workshop will be open between 9.30am and 5pm.
Bill Carter will defiantly be attending with some of his superb planes, and his wife Sarah is bringing along a selection of her wonderful cakes (just make sure you leave a slice for me :) Brian Jackson will also be attending, selling a variety of carving, and turning chisels, with a percentage of the money going to Macmillan nurses.
To give you some idea of other stuff on offer, I have probably got in excess of 100 various wooden planes for disposal including molders, rebates, and ploughs. I will try to gather up as many other miscellaneous hand tools as I can, and other people have already offered up stuff for the pot.
There will be an assortment of timber and sheet material offcuts, and also some veneers. Our local timber supplier, James Latham, has promised me quite a large quantity of American red Oak as a donation. apparently these are 12" by 1" boards that were rejected by a customer, but when they arrive I will post some more info.
I would also like to thank David Stanley tool auctions for already having made a generous cash donation
It would be nice to have some idea of the number of folks who might be coming, so If you could post your interest hear it would be great.
Here's to having a fun day, and helping a wonderful organization at the same time.
Cheers, Richard

Aces and Eights":u664gdmz said:
I'll be there, and I'll have some tools at a special price, with the proceeds going towards Richards total.

Adam,
Thanks for that Adam. It will be great to meet up again.
Cheers, Richard

Richard,

Looking again at your earlier post, I found this puzzling sentence:

richarnold":2i00d6mk said:
I have probably got in excess of 100 various wooden planes for disposal including molders, rebates, and ploughs. I will try to gather up as many other miscellaneous hand tools as I can, and other people have already offered up stuff for the pot.

What is this strange concept of getting rid of tools? :roll: :lol: :roll:

Will it be necessary to get there while it is still dark, or just before Jimi, "King of the Kent Bootfair Dawn Raiding Party" arrives? :wink:

AndyT":57g695vs said:
Richard,

Looking again at your earlier post, I found this puzzling sentence:

richarnold":57g695vs said:
I have probably got in excess of 100 various wooden planes for disposal including molders, rebates, and ploughs. I will try to gather up as many other miscellaneous hand tools as I can, and other people have already offered up stuff for the pot.

What is this strange concept of getting rid of tools? :roll: :lol: :roll:

Will it be necessary to get there while it is still dark, or just before Jimi, "King of the Kent Bootfair Dawn Raiding Party" arrives? :wink:
Hi Andy. Hopefully there will be more than enough to go round even if Jimi gets there at the crack of dawn :lol: Then again with all that star gazing he might be a bit later out of bed in the mornings :wink:
I know it's a strange concept to get rid of tools, but after gathering up a collection for over 35 years, you end up with quite a surplus of stuff that I would sooner see being put to good use again. Especially if it can raise a few bob for such a worthy cause. http://www.macmillan.org.uk/HowWeCanHel ... urses.aspx.
Cheers Richard

Just bumping this thread to remind people to keep the date clear and go along.

I'll definitely be there and will bring local lads PlumberPete and Rafezetter. Pete says he has some more tools to add to the pot.
We'll aim to get there soon after 9.30 on Sunday 8 June.

Is there anywhere handy to get food, or should we bring our own?
How's the parking space on site?

Back