Workshop from scaffold boards..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
defsdoor":178xj2uc said:
ScaredyCat":178xj2uc said:
Not a recommendation just making the point that you could get an off the shelf shed for that.

You can't call those things sheds. They use 1"x1" - that's basically trim. I thought they were bad whey I was looking for a new shed and was looking at the ones that were 1"x2". I halped a mate put one of these 1"x1" sheds in and it might as well have been made out of cardboard :O
I bought a second hand shed with really small framework. I turned it into a good comfy shed. Here's how.

Working from the inside a shed would have

Osb or similar boarding on the inside
Studwork with insulation in between
Breathable fabric
Minimum 20 battens on the front of that
Then your outside boarding

Think of the cheapy shed as the last two things on the list, then build inwards, so breathable fabric, studwork insulation and internal boarding. You'll need a few alterations on the framework (or in the new role, the batten) to ensure airflow, but you'll end up with an immediate structure that you can build inwards when time/budget allows. With a bit of planning an off the shelf flimsy shed can be transformed into a nice warm insulated workable or even liveable shed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dom68":2tzs17zg said:
thanks very much :D

just for my own education then..

how long realistically will posts last if concreted in before they rot? and structurally what would be acceptable for a shed this size?

ive never built anything like this so just feeling my way along.

my original vision was for something that would look pretty.. bit like a log cabin.. :D

Hi,

IME concreting a post into the ground creates a concrete pocket which traps water next to the wood. I've found that, even in heavy clay, posts survive longer out of concrete than in it - but in any event, don't last more than 2-10 years depending on the details.

Cheers, W2S

thanks for all the replies so far.. i think i can get 50 boards for around 200 quid.. maybe use 6x6s for corners and some 4x4 inbetween.. posts would be pressure treated.. this would get me to around £350/£370 mark.. may have enough boards to build roof structure.. poss even raised floor.. i wouldnt bother with windows and id use the wood i cut out for door opening to make the door with..

I'd still just buy a second hand shed Dom.

It'll be very quick to put a strong rigid and nice looking shed. That's only half the battle though. The other half is building it in a way to keep the heat in, but the condensation and damp out.

Edit- This thread by Mike G is well worth a read

viewtopic.php?t=39389

This is my first post, so Hi everyone.

I know this is an older post, but im a newbie to wood working.

But if you put an alternating rabet on the tops and bottoms of the Scaffolding boards, this would give tongue and groove type fit so water run off cant travel up.

Would that work?

It's not a good idea to use decent tools anywhere near a scaffold board. They have ingrained dirt, stones, and so on from thousands of building site boots. Further, they won't be straight. If you can't do it with a hand-held circular saw, I wouldn't do it.........and that means half-laps rather than tongue and groove. Even then, this is a fundamentally flawed idea.

How about scaffold tubes for the corner posts into the ground on pads, fixed to a 4x2 bottom and top rail. Then, screw your scaffold boards vertically into these 4x2 rails. One vertical course spaced at approximately 6" apart to suit a full board width from the corners and then overlap these with another vertical course by about an inch either side. this would create very strong waterproof walls, fixed to a bottom and top plate. The whole thing say 6/8 inches above ground level with the actual floor slabs inside just under the floor plate level with the vertical boards outside overlapping the edge of the slabs on the inside etc...

Loads of ways to make this work and no messing about with studwork.

Might even stay warm??

ColeyS1":34r7nmjo said:
defsdoor":34r7nmjo said:
ScaredyCat":34r7nmjo said:
Not a recommendation just making the point that you could get an off the shelf shed for that.

You can't call those things sheds. They use 1"x1" - that's basically trim. I thought they were bad whey I was looking for a new shed and was looking at the ones that were 1"x2". I halped a mate put one of these 1"x1" sheds in and it might as well have been made out of cardboard :O
I bought a second hand shed with really small framework. I turned it into a good comfy shed. Here's how.

Working from the inside a shed would have

Osb or similar boarding on the inside
Studwork with insulation in between
Breathable fabric
Minimum 20 battens on the front of that
Then your outside boarding

Think of the cheapy shed as the last two things on the list, then build inwards, so breathable fabric, studwork insulation and internal boarding. You'll need a few alterations on the framework (or in the new role, the batten) to ensure airflow, but you'll end up with an immediate structure that you can build inwards when time/budget allows. With a bit of planning an off the shelf flimsy shed can be transformed into a nice warm insulated workable or even liveable shed.

That's exactly what I did for my daughter and it works fine. I note that for the past few months Homebase have been selling 2.4m X 38mm X 63mm for £2.25. A 63mm vertical stud added to the existing frame, with 60mm insulation board and OSB will really beef up any budget shed at modest cost.

Just a thought. With your budget and access to free boards, what about a 20’ container? Nice steel box with good access / security. To make it spouse / neighbour friendly you can use the boards to cover it. Needs to be raised off the ground which a few concrete pillars will sort.

Windows can be added by cutting out openings with an angle grinder. You can insulate on the outside underneath the cladding, or inside. I would sheet the internal and paint white to both reduce noise reflection of the inside and make it lighter.

Back