Workshop floor joists

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ram64

Established Member
Reaction score
HI all,
I'll be starting a new workshop build soon (hammer) , just a 10 foot by 8 foot affair and have a question about floor joists.
I've recently acquired a number of lengths of reclaimed 5" x 4" (150mm x 125mm actual) at 10 foot in length. Is it reasonable to assume these will make an 8 foot span unsupported? The nearest size by comparison in any span table is C16 150mm x 47mm which at 600mm centres is showing a max span of 2.76m. Does the extra width make any gains?
Thanks in advance
Nigel

MikeG is your top bloke for this but I'd hazard a guess and say 'no'; you're going to need some sort of support mid way - Rob

Ram64":3iw3p6ca said:
HI all,
I'll be starting a new workshop build soon , just a 10 foot by 8 foot affair and have a question about floor joists.
I've recently acquired a number of lengths of reclaimed 5" x 4" (150mm x 125mm actual) at 10 foot in length. Is it reasonable to assume these will make an 8 foot span unsupported? The nearest size by comparison in any span table is C16 150mm x 47mm which at 600mm centres is showing a max span of 2.76m. Does the extra width make any gains?

Since 2.76m is just over 9 feet, whether there is any gain by using joists 2.6 x wider than that quoted in the table is irrelevant. Of course there will be gains but finding out how much would be a futile exercise. A rough calculation suggests those beams could span 5m .

Incidentally 150 x 125 is ~ 6" x 5" not 5" x 4"

Mike G is the expert.
The old carpenters rule was half the span plus an inch for floor joists (4” +1”I.e. 5”), so i will be interested to see what Mike has to say.

Ram64":cumce8hu said:
........ 5" x 4" (150mm x 125mm actual)........

Which is it?

Given that 150x125 is not a standard size, and something I've never come across in softwood, I'm guessing you meant 125x100.

I even looked at the wrong dimensions in the tables. Gawd that was a bad, must try harder (homer)

Looks like the nearest equivalent is 75 x 122, which at 600 mm centres is between 2.34m and 2.73m depending on the loading. Once again apologies for the confusion.

Thanks again Nigel

I've recently acquired a number of lengths of reclaimed 5" x 4" (150mm x 125mm actual) at 10 foot in length. [/quote said:
Whatever you do, treat those reclaimed timbers and particularly, trim, check and drench the end grain with a good rot treatment.
Much better to be safe than sorry.

Back