As it is not in the UK

98%
2%
By sometimewoodworker
SteveF wrote:it may be a building site
but a fantastic one

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I don't know about fantastic, it is certainly an expensive one.

These two contracts are ฿2,200,000 foundations, security room, posts and roof steel and ฿800,000 walls water and electrics ( ฿3,000,000=£68,000)
Now that might not seem expensive to you but when you know that SWMBO built a complete house for her grandmother for about £8,000 :shock: so we could have had 8 of those houses and still had and change for the same money that is a different story. ;) :o

Preparing for posting at 5:02 a.m. Wednesday, 23 November 2016
By SteveF
£68k gets u quite a nice space though
I know what u r saying though
4000 baht gets u a nice suit made compared with £300 so a 1/3rd cost of uk
which still makes your mansion only £200k uk
and u get a very nice lifestyle :-)
no kids and I would consider myself

Steve
By Wildman
I have somehow missed this thread as well, it is very interesting even if everything looks to be massively overbuilt, what is the idea of the security room, are you expecting earthquakes, nuclear bombs, unruly natives or what. Is there mains leccy or will you have your own genny. No mains water what about a well? Lots of solar power I hope.
By sometimewoodworker
SteveF wrote:£68k gets u quite a nice space though
I know what u r saying though
4000 baht gets u a nice suit made compared with £300 so a 1/3rd cost of uk
which still makes your mansion only £200k uk
and u get a very nice lifestyle :-)
no kids and I would consider myself

Steve

I think you may have missed the point, that the 68K is only a framework when the house is finished it's going to be a lot more than £68k. When we get to the windows and 2 doors that's another £29k.
By sometimewoodworker
Wildman wrote:I have somehow missed this thread as well, it is very interesting even if everything looks to be massively overbuilt, what is the idea of the security room, are you expecting earthquakes, nuclear bombs, unruly natives or what. Is there mains leccy or will you have your own genny. No mains water what about a well? Lots of solar power I hope.

Over built, possibly, but that is what the architect designed and I don't know enough to argue. Also the workshop is designed to be car parking if we go away.

Hummm, mains water, sometimes. Mains leccy usually, but often cuts of several hours. Security room is to usually use for storage but also to lock away my expensive tools when we want to have a holiday, I've got a few thousand pounds of festool toys that I wouldn't be able to replace and theft is probably more common in Thailand than in the U.K.

Solar power, no we can't sell any extra back. Solar hot water yes, based on a system pioneered in Kathmandu.
By sometimewoodworker
February 2016 ->

The walls are coming along nicely. The finished height will be 3.8 metres

image.jpg

Joining 2 H beams which will be part of the crane. It is unusual to get lengths over 6M. There are 4 points that the lengthwise beams will be suspended from, these two will be at the ends

image.jpg

image.jpg

The front house wall

image.jpg

An automated oxy propane cutting machine

image.jpg

image.jpg

High quality:) locally built ucaliptus wood movable support

image.jpg

The alternative steel version

image.jpg

Windows and doors have cast-in-place concrete surrounds

image.jpg

Looking at the area between the two roofs we've noticed a problem with the placement of the windows and need to move them down to be cantered in the opening, fortunately it is an easy change at this stage

image.jpg

Preparing for posting at 10:01 a.m. Friday, 25 November 2016
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By sometimewoodworker
February continued.

The roof shape of the house is beginning to come into view now.
image.jpg

The front support H-beam for the crane is being lifted into place.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Elf'n safety! = don't fall down mate.

image.jpg

The H-beam is being bolted into the cement with four bolts that are being cast in place. I'm not sure that this is going to be strong enough. So what I've decided to do is add a support underneath and if it begins to drop then the support will be easy to see bending outwards

image.jpg

The support/telltale upright.

image.jpg

You can see where the original cross beam was attached, about 30cm above the bottom beam

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking down into the workshop area.

image.jpg

Preparing for posting at 5:43 p.m. Friday, 25 November 2016
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By sometimewoodworker
Even more from February.

Looking down into my workshop in the area where my shower and toilet will be.

image.jpg

This is the steel that's been cut out with the Oxy propane gas cutter and it's going to be used to reinforce the trusses so is that the runway beams for the crane can be fitted to them.

image.jpg

As you can see our house is in the countryside, the nearest town is about 8 km, and the nearest city is about 50 km.

image.jpg

Adding Sherwood above the top windows painting it

image.jpg

I think that I'm probably going to have enough power sockets, on this wall they are about every 50 cm and four outlets in one box.

image.jpg

SWMBO inspecting the reinforcing steel for the trusses

image.jpg

The crane runway beams are getting a rust prevention undercoat.

image.jpg

One of the architectural team inspecting the welding of the truss reinforcement.

image.jpg

What will be the front Veranda and car parking shade area

image.jpg

How do you move a six meter crane runway beam? The answer is get enough people and pick it up

image.jpg

Preparing for posting at 8:14 p.m. Friday, 25 November 2016

Do let me know if I'm posting too many pics (or not enough :lol: ). These are a small selection of the thousands I've got. :roll:
By sometimewoodworker
February Still

I got to assist making our gutter fit

image.jpg

Fitting clips onto the inner wall for water pipes using the right angle attachment on my festool CXS

image.jpg

image.jpg

Waterproofing a bend on the gutter

image.jpg

One of the finished runway beams

image.jpg

One of the finished runway beams mostly fitted

image.jpg

One of the 5 X 1 ton rated trollies that will be used in the crane

image.jpg

The bridge girder

image.jpg

Top beams of window openings supports in place while curing

image.jpg

image.jpg

Preparing for posting at 6:12 a.m. Monday, 28 November 2016
By sometimewoodworker
February and into March

The workers didn't get the correct information that all 90 degree bends had to be 45 + 45 they get to cut out the 90's and refit with doubled 45‘s

Our water supply will sometimes be very low pressure so it needs all the help it can get.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On a side note I built a simple rocket stove

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

One of the pairs of workshop windows in progress

image.jpg

We get nice big windows in the kitchen 2X3metre plus a 2 metre glass door and a 1 metre one

image.jpg

SWMBO is pointing out the rubbish left around by the workers, we have it in the contracts that the site has to be kept clear of stuff like this otherwise it would be everywhere.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Preparing for posting at 8:45 a.m. Monday, 28 November 2016
By sometimewoodworker
March and the roof has arrived (another million + Baht)

8am and the crane we hired for the morning is arriving
image.jpg

By 9am with no sign of the roof artic. I was getting worried that we might need to pay double for the crane.

But just after 10am it was sighted

image.jpg

It was an interesting experience getting the tractor-trailer into our garden

image.jpg

However it was managed without tipping the tractor over (it looked to me at one point that it was a real possibility)

image.jpg

The crane driver, roof delivery driver and roofing team soon had the parts almost flying onto the roof substructure, so though planned to take 4 hours it was finished in just 2

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The crane was able to leave on time at 12noon after the roof truck had gone

image.jpg

By about 4pm a very good start had been made on fitting the roof.

image.jpg

image.jpg

While waiting for the roof delivery SWMBO was feeding the fish so I put together a shortish video of progress up-to the point of putting the roof on

(One of these links should work)

https://youtu.be/8nRjWFvhubo

For phones and tablets under

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRjWFvhubo

Preparing for posting at 9:43 a.m. Monday, 28 November 2016
By sometimewoodworker
The colourbond roof is going on quickly this is after about 3 hours work

image.jpg

Details of the clip system

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There are a couple of gaps hat will get patching, but will have a flashing over the to and PU foam underneath so no problem

image.jpg

Patched

image.jpg

I'm not sure I'd want the job

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Preparing for posting at 3:11 p.m. Tuesday, 29 November 2016