workshop base winching point

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
Hi guys

On thursday my workshop base is being started, due to the design there will be a small ramp leading up to the front door. my plan is to set in the floor on the other side of the room some sort of floor fixing that i can attach my winch to help pull the pallet truck up the ramp.

really i want something that is removable and can happily take a ton plus a bit more.

im thinkng of using one of these

eyebolt--long-shank--10mm-to-30mm-.jpg

in m20, which is nice and chunky, and then weld some matching nuts to a heavy piece of angle iron, then just for the belt and braces weld several pieces of 6" lengths of rebar to the iron to give in more purchase in the concrete. then the bolt is easy enough to remove and replace when its required.

can anyone think of a better method or any problems with this method

cheers

Adidat

A simple piece of tubing to accept the ring bolt shaft let vertically (or canted slightly rearwards from the direction of pull at the top) into the concrete should suffice.
Your pull is going to be very near to horizontal so should not pull the ringbolt out.

This sounds like it's gonna be a nice thought out workshop!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

CHJ":2kod4i17 said:
A simple piece of tubing to accept the ring bolt shaft let vertically (or canted slightly rearwards from the direction of pull at the top) into the concrete should suffice.
Your pull is going to be very near to horizontal so should not pull the ringbolt out.

Would be even stronger if you welded a flat plate on the bottom of the tube to spread the load under the concrete.

thanks for the comments and suggestions guys, i've ordered some bits so lets see what turns up!

Adidat

Best to drill down to bedrock IMHO :shock: :wink: :D

Pete

the flush cargo thing seems like a really good idea, had already pushed the button on the other bits so probably go with them now...

This monster arrived today, i chickened out and went for the m24 thread one!!

VHJCYqX.jpg

its pretty impressive! hopefully the other bits come tomorrow.

Im just about to start another thread for the progress achieved so far!

will post link below.

Adidat

I have only just seen this post, so this is now too late, but you could have probably got hold of a towing ring from a car from a car dismantlers for next to nothing.
Or even use the one from your own car - just remember to put it back when finished with.

K

adidat":1jhea7fh said:
the flush cargo thing seems like a really good idea, had already pushed the button on the other bits so probably go with them now...

VHJCYqX.jpg

will post link below.

Adidat

you could anchor the qe2 to that

adidat":19ug22hb said:

VHJCYqX.jpg

My god what are you winching in to your workshop? i don't think you will need a upgrade any time soon. look forward to seeing how you set it in

will post link below.

Adidat

They are probably expensive but ground anchors are sold to the motorcycle community to provide a hard point to chain expensive bikes to for theft prevention. I'm pretty sure these include ones designed to be concreted in and that go flush / below ground. If that is important to anyone reading in future, there's another avenue to check out ...
Incidentally, it's not difficult or expensive to buy a 2.5 ton rated webbing sling to loop into a bar set below ground.

if im being honest, i like large industrial things, and rather enjoy over engineering objects!

Adidat

So i bought the tube as chas suggested but forgot to specify non welded so that is off the table, as its needed later today for the pour

So i went with original design, which was a load of fun to make, i don't get to weld often so i enjoy it when i do!

I meant to take pics as I went but never got around to it sadly...

Some lovely 50mm 8mm angle iron that i found on the roadside came in handy. I cleaned off all the paint and the black colour off the nuts with the grinder then put them all along the the rod evenly spaced. then clamped it down and went along tacking each nut, carefully to avoid warping. then removed the pin and welded all around them. I got another piece of angle and welded it on top to make a box. Then picked out some choice rebar sections at 400mm and welded them on, and also added my initials and date for when it gets dug up in a few hundred years!! :lol: :lol:

And then added a round disk on top that can be floated flush with the concrete

M8wYiIF.jpg

zgR6vYP.jpg

The bottom is a bit messy but i will never see it again hopefully!

the pin is rather hard to get out due to slight warping but once the its in the base fixed i will take it out and clean up the threads a bit, i plan to weld a nut on top of the loop so it can be easily taken in and out with a windy gun!

I still need to cover the bottom with some old oil tank, some one suggested adding some more rebar on the other axis i may do this if i get a chance.

Adidat

well you never know what might need to stop and refuel in my yard, also i may decide to start collecting zeplins or hot air ballons,

Adidat

Latest posts

Back