Workbench Plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that this summer I might start making a workbench for my 'workshop' (ie dirt-floored cowshed with no electricity) in France.
I've been looking for free plans, and everything seems to be quite complex. I am looking for something very simple and straightforward - anyone got any pointers?
Is there not a 'standard text' on workbenches? Would that help me?

Are you looking to build a traditional workbench from solid timber? Or are you open to alternative building methods, like my Ply version?

Chris Schwarz writes a good book on the traditional type. Millions of websites out there covering this subject.

Well this is how I did it:

DSC_0011.JPG

I have the 'workbench book' which was a good use of £20 as I was intending to pay however much was required to give me what I want, and that's the most important question, so, what do you want?

Complexity isn't necessary, unless you want your workbench to be something you can stop and look at occasionaly and think 'I'm not so bad at this woodwork thingy' which is reassuring as something starts to go wrong, not that it ever happens to me, must change my tagline I suppose...

My workbench and my dad's are very similar, in that they both have a front vise, are about 2'x4', 36 high etc. the difference is mine weighs an absolute ton, is made from £200 of hardwoods and took me 3 weeks to make (3 proper weeks of 90+ hours per week). His is made from those cheap 2x4 pine strips that B&Q sell, it cost him £36 and he made it in an afternoon with a cheapy rolson vice. Obviously the most important things are being solid and stable, you can make it heavy with lots of expensive woods, make a hollow box and fill it with concrete, bolt it to the floor and wall (incredibly effective) or in your situation maybe you could get a cow to sit on one end of it?

What's your style of work is also a good place to start, small detailed boxes don't need a huge bench but maybe high enough and enough clearance underneath to sit at the bench is important? In the previously mentioned book there was one example of a workbench about 1 foot wide and 8 foot long, this was used by a guy who only used hand tools to square up long boards

If you have loads of space I'd make application specific benches, maybe one 'signature' piece bench for fine detailed hand-tool work and a large slab of a bench for assembling and mucky work made from MDF and ply. Though as you say, with a mud floor and no electricity, I think you have other priorities than a workbench!

Aidan

So, a solidly constructed base, laminated ply top (about 2"?) edged with hardwood and Record vices?

No nobbin about! I like it.

I think Paul Chapman and one other member have recently had success in making their bench tops from layers of laminated MDF even.

Blimey. Plenty to think about... thanks all. I am attracted to the laminated ply top - cheapish and easy!

I'll have to have a recce as to what materials I can find in France. I know where to get a lot of cheap green oak, but that isn't going to fill the bill, except maybe for the base. I've never seen thick ply in the DIY sheds. Do any France-based posters have any knowledge?

At first I suspect I will be making garden stuff - and I have a hankering for some Adirondack chairs - and waiting for the workshop to be finished. It looks like I will have to learn the delicate arts of rendering walls and fettling the cement mixer as well!

Back