Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By bp122
Thanks guys.

Now that I have gotten the selection of stock out of the way, I am still on the wall about what style bench to build - a Roubo or a Nicholson / English bench.

I do not have a thicknesser or a bandsaw. I have a table saw, a small drill press, and three hand planes.
If you could share your experience on your type of bench and what you would like to change, that would be deeply appreciated.

Also, is joinery grade redwood a reasonable choice for this project?
By AndyT
bp122 wrote:Thanks guys.
If you could share your experience on your type of bench and what you would like to change, that would be deeply appreciated.

Also, is joinery grade redwood a reasonable choice for this project?

I shared some pictures of my set-up here my-old-cheap-easy-bench-t82290.html

It's no particular style, just what I could fit into the space and make from the materials available.
The only improvement I would like is to have more space around the ends - but that's not possible.

Decent redwood is entirely suitable.
By Bill Derr
FatmanG wrote:Considering most on YT don't make anything other workshop accessories and jigs it has to be the look at meee factor, crazy thing is Joe public pay for most of it lol Patron lunatics its the new form of begging IMO.

I'm glad somebody has mentioned the Patreon thing, I agree it's simply a form of begging (imo) I subscribed to a couple of channels that I thought were pretty good, then they both started to push around the Patreon begging bowl and it changed my opinion of them so much I don't bother with them anymore.