Workbench Build aka Paul Sellers style

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Nicholson bench (i.e. the style of benches that Paul Sellers makes) are better made when built with wedges in the apron housings. Yes, that gives the benefit of portability, but the bigger advantage is that they're more resistant to racking. For the reasons I gave previously a non wedged Nicholson bench, if hard and constantly used for a few years, will eventually succumb to racking.

Having read through the link that Mr Teroo gave I think it's fair to say that Paul Sellers has come to the same conclusion, these are some of the things he says,

"On my benches I don’t rely only on the housing dado. I want something that locks and continues to lock the legs into the apron housings and never turns lose."

"I could guarantee the lateral stability absolutely essential to a hand tool woodworking bench. The more it racks the more rock solid the wedges seat in each of the joints and there lies the increased success of what was already a truly solid and functional bench."

"When I have made benches in the past, I found that even with glue and screws or bolts, shoving them across uneven floors carelessly or regularly can rack the joints, break the glue line and weaken the rigidity of the bench."

But let's keep this in perspective. I've seen Nicholson benches that were hammered over many years in professional workshops and were badly racked, and I've seen wedged Nicholson benches that were obviously well used but still solid. However, for less demanding hobbyist use it's likely both construction methods would serve you well.

just spend 3 hours almost non stop lapping the record no7 blade, it was in a severe state and very rounded in the corners, but I got there in the end lol

I used the workbench so it was much easier than before, nothing rocks and it feels rock solid already. Tomorrow I can begin planing the worktop sides and make sure they are parallel before fitting it.

it took a lot longer than expect to plane the side of the worktop, in this case I had to plane it slightly out of square so when tightened in the clamps it didn't rise up above the bearers, I also made sure it was parallel and planed the other side, anyway I got there in the end.

As custard suggested using planks underneath, I just happened to have a couple lying around, tried it and it works really well! I'd highly recommend this if your floor is giving you problems.

I had to clamp it down to the bearers just to make sure there was no lift and it's now screwed down on both of them.

so now I just have to wait 24 hours, thanks for everyone's patience, it's getting close now.

picture is attached

Attachments

• workbench_topclamp-1.jpg
    workbench_topclamp-1.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 97
As ever I am very impressed by your diligence and the results you are delivering =D> . But I do have one question. Your floor is not level, so you have used planks to create a level surface for preparing the bench. Will your bench ultimately sit on that not completely level floor? If so will you have to use some sort of levelling feet?

Terry.

Wizard9999":2cga3au8 said:
As ever I am very impressed by your diligence and the results you are delivering =D> . But I do have one question. Your floor is not level, so you have used planks to create a level surface for preparing the bench. Will your bench ultimately sit on that not completely level floor? If so will you have to use some sort of levelling feet?

Terry.

hi terry, thanks. Yes it will sit on the concrete floor, I am planning on using oak wedges under the legs, even though it's not ideal, once it's moved into the correct place in the garage.

Terry, it's good practise to do all glue ups and test assemblies on a known level surface. Otherwise you build twist and wind into a project which then means cabinet doors or drawers will never be properly true and components won't quite come together as planned. You're right, once installed it's unlikely anything will ever sit on a flat surface, but then is the time for wedges or shavings taken off legs, not during the build itself.

thetyreman":36xzgdb4 said:
hi terry, thanks. Yes it will sit on the concrete floor, I am planning on using oak wedges under the legs, even though it's not ideal, once it's moved into the correct place in the garage.

That makes perfect sense, I'll be interested in seeing your ultimate solution and hearing how it works out.

My reason for asking is that while it may be some time until I address it my workshop is missing a bench and the place it will end up sitting is the least even part of my floor #-o . I was thinking about adjustable feet which I have put on my router table which is in the same area in my workshop, but it occured to me that using something like that with a relatively small surface area in contact with the floor may be counter to the idea of making a bench with a bit of heft.

Terry.

custard":1ayg6uoa said:
Terry, it's good practise to do all glue ups and test assemblies on a known level surface. Otherwise you build twist and wind into a project which then means cabinet doors or drawers will never be properly true and components won't quite come together as planned. You're right, once installed it's unlikely anything will ever sit on a flat surface, but then is the time for wedges or shavings taken off legs, not during the build itself.

Yes, well that may explain some of the issues I have had previously (hammer) . Sadly, in the relevant part of my worshop is concerned it would be quite a few shavings required!

Terry.

I finally finished it last night, here's some pictures, it feels unbelievably solid, but I still need to clear a lot of space and move it into place, then fit the vice, so this thread isn't quite over yet.

Instead of using sandpaper, I used a (sharp) card scraper on the legs, and hard to reach area's, I prefered the way this looked to sanding it, and I created a roundover on the edge, mostly because I like the way it looks.

I'm very happy with how it's turned out and how it feels, hope you all like it! cheers.

p.s in the meantime I'm looking for a vice and thinking about finishes, any help here would be appreciated.

Attachments

• finished_bench-1.jpg
    finished_bench-1.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 183
  • finished_bench-2.jpg
    finished_bench-2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 182
Fantastic. Well done TM. You should be well chuffed with that. =D> More pics required.
If I'm honest yourself and Mark have both inspired me (along with some other issues) to pull all ten fingers out my ***e and crack on with mine. Trying to get a little bit done whenever I can. Ten minutes here, half an hour there. Although the lure of the little side projects is strong it must be controlled! Discipline Comrade!

The planes can wait. (Mostly.... might keep a few ideas skimming along there in the background. :D )

XsS9U0p.jpg

We need some bench in use photos too!

Brilliant!
You must be well pleased?

Are you going to put a finish on it?

I painted my aprons/legs and Danish oiled the topgg

Edit: I just read your post again and I see you haven't decided on a finish.

Absolutely top class, I am sure it will give you years of pleasure! =D>

What sort of vice are you looking to fit?

Terry.

Wizard9999":3rdsnv0v said:

Terry.

not certain on the vice yet, but a vintage record no53E looks pretty good, they aren't cheap though, but I think it'd be worth it.

thetyreman":3f2bpfh6 said:
Wizard9999":3f2bpfh6 said:

Terry.

not certain on the vice yet, but a vintage record no53E looks pretty good, they aren't cheap though, but I think it'd be worth it.

OK, well I suggest you use Benchcrafted hardware as a comparison, that way whatever you decide on you will feel you got a bargain :D

Terry.

Back