wooden logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me from these photo's what tree or timber it is ? i have also put a photo of the buds below
Alan

Attachments

• DSCF9313.JPG
    DSCF9313.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9314.JPG
    DSCF9314.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9315.JPG
    DSCF9315.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9317.JPG
    DSCF9317.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9318.JPG
    DSCF9318.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9321.JPG
    DSCF9321.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9320.JPG
    DSCF9320.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF9312.JPG
    DSCF9312.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 301
Oak but may well be Turkey oak looking at how much sap there is. A leaf would help tell which kind of oak it is.

Sorry no leave's i was given the logs and a thick branch where i had the buds from and it was cut down yesterday apparently
Mock

don't think it will help allot but this was a photo of the tree in the summer well so he tell's me
Mock

Attachments

• DSCF9025.JPG
    DSCF9025.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 267
Can't tell from the first pic, but do the buds have a distinct blueish tinge? If they do, and given the site where it was growing, my money would be on Alder.

mock":3ehyy2bm said:
Sorry no leave's i was given the logs and a thick branch where i had the buds from and it was cut down yesterday apparently
Get some melted wax on the end grain ASAP if not already done.

It looks like nice wood, regardless of what it is.

Should i wax both the end grain and the the sliced sides where i have cut the log in half as in the photo
Mock

Attachments

• DSCF9314.JPG
    DSCF9314.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 187
Just the end grain, leave the bark on. Leave cut face open.
Seal any branch wound end grain areas on sides of logs.

Never heard of coating the long grain face of the timber, apart from coating it with borax for woodworm preventive.
I would process it, possibly rive it into whatever stock I wanted first, that'd be if your after chair spindles or
obtaining quartersawn stock
For instance if you radially cut/cleaved the timber, you wouldn't need worry about it, because there would be
nothing to stop the contraction or swelling of the wood...
In other words the wood can breath like a set of lungs, without constraints, so it wont tear itself apart.

If your wanting thicker stock, be prepared to wait, and for it to move,
thick stock from a tree that size wouldn't suggest it gonna be the most stable piece in the world.

Interested in what species it is too
Tom

Hi - from the picture of it growing by water, and from the bark and buds, I think it could alder or perhaps more likely willow (based on the colour of the freshly-cut timber). I'd only seal the endgrain. Cheers, W2S

photo of the tree and buds although the buds are brown in colour and oval shape but some a still green
Mock

Attachments

• DSCF9322.JPG
    DSCF9322.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF9323.JPG
    DSCF9323.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF9325.JPG
    DSCF9325.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 139
Hi - I think there's a very strong chance it's sallow/willow (possibly goat willow, but willows hybridise quite freely) - less likely to be alder - cheers, W2S

Would something like this be ok to air dry the logs and green timber
Alan

Attachments

• log storage.jpg
    log storage.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 37
mock":30b0r0yh said:
Would something like this be ok to air dry the logs and green timber
Alan

Perfect for firewood. Might dry them a bit quick for making things as if you dry the wood fast it's more prone to cracks.

Just made this small one do you think i should close some of the gaps up i am hopping to dry some logs after i mill them although i haven't finished yet
Alan

Attachments

• DSCF9331.JPG
    DSCF9331.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF9330.JPG
    DSCF9330.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF9329.JPG
    DSCF9329.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 25
To answer your question the best, theirs probably first few questions needed first

Can you adjust the height of those shelves ...as that tree looked thirsty
Are you planing on making a roof ?

How thick are the pieces you wish to obtain, and what for ?

Do you plan on radially cutting this ?
I'm surprised that split so well , It looks like you could cleave it from the shot of it split...
I wouldn't have thought that tree would as theirs tons of crotch

Back