wood - price comparsion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if I could compare some hardwood prices with what other people are paying and get an idea of value.

I'm not sure on the rules of this, so I won't name the timber yard who's offered these prices. I "think* they are OK though.

8' x 4' 18mm baltic birch (bb/bb) - £32.32 + VAT

American Oak (inch thick ) - £27/cubic foot - £945 Cubic Meter
Beech ( grade B - Inch thick) £16/cubic foot - £560 cubic meter
Tulip ( grade SS - inch thick) £16/Cubic foot - £560 cubic meter - suprising to see tulip and beech the same price!
Maple (SS, Hard, Inch thick) £30/cubic foot - £1050 cubic meter
(all +vat)

These prices are about 40%-70% cheaper than my local timber merchant, but I know that my local timber merchant is astonishingly expensive - so I don't know whether these are good prices, or if I can get better by hunting further.

Thanks

Steve

Ouch, but that will be before any discount. I think I paid £50 a sheet for 2 sheets of b/b the last time I got some.

tomf":1vf72zjm said:
How much are you buying?
If it's low volumes then it's a very good price.

Thats the "single sheet" price, and the hardwood is at the "cubic foot" price - so there are no volume discounts added at all.

SlowSteve":3t9gufs4 said:
Hi,

I was wondering if I could compare some hardwood prices with what other people are paying and get an idea of value.

I'm not sure on the rules of this, so I won't name the timber yard who's offered these prices. I "think* they are OK though.

8' x 4' 18mm baltic birch (bb/bb) - £32.32 + VAT

American Oak (inch thick ) - £27/cubic foot - £945 Cubic Meter
Beech ( grade B - Inch thick) £16/cubic foot - £560 cubic meter
Tulip ( grade SS - inch thick) £16/Cubic foot - £560 cubic meter - suprising to see tulip and beech the same price!
Maple (SS, Hard, Inch thick) £30/cubic foot - £1050 cubic meter
(all +vat)

These prices are about 40%-70% cheaper than my local timber merchant, but I know that my local timber merchant is astonishingly expensive - so I don't know whether these are good prices, or if I can get better by hunting further.

Thanks

Steve

Compared to what I've seen, thats pretty cheap pricing. Would be interested to see the quality of the stock. What is grade SS for maple/tulip? Not come across that. I thought SS meant Special Structural i.e C24?

Looks good compared to where I shop. Is this local to you or for delivery?

Would it be possible to start a section say "suppliers pricing" and sub sections for say birch ply, rough sawn, pas red wood, that kind of thing?

Can we "name" recent purchases with suppliers with prices?

Seems these suppliers don't have published price lists and we could all help each other negotiate?

I just bought some 18mm birch for £40+

If I had seen slowsteves purchase I might have used his supplier or used the price to negotiate with my local timber merchant since we are both in Yorkshire.

P.s. Just paid £25.80+ for 12mm and £14.35 for 6mm birch BB

Slowsteve,

My last prices where

American white oak £22.40 inch
Beech £17.40 inch
Beech £23.50 3 inch
Walnut £52.50 inch
Sapele £24.75 inch
Tulip £15.23 inch

Prices don't seem too dissimilar, all cubic foot rough sawn.

Fishandchips":3a1aoa4h said:
Would it be possible to start a section say "suppliers pricing" and sub sections for say birch ply, rough sawn, pas red wood, that kind of thing?

Seems these suppliers don't have published price lists and we could all help each other negotiate?

If I had seen slowsteves purchase I might have used his supplier or used the price to negotiate with my local timber merchant since we are both in Yorkshire.

Sounds like a good idea to me, and I can't see what rules we would be breaking.

Had a quote from a Leeds supplier last Friday (search my posts for details, until it's confirmed we can name names) 18mm Birch BB £37.70 + Vat, so it would seem there is room for movement.

I think national price list hardwood supplies is a good idea so buyers can compare prices nationwide, most woodies are happy to pay a fair price for wood. But prices do vary especially if you are buying small lots, maybe a national buyers club might be a idea worth looking into.????????

JSW":4k67s4e9 said:
Fishandchips":4k67s4e9 said:

Sounds like a good idea to me, and I can't see what rules we would be breaking.

Had a quote from a Leeds supplier last Friday (search my posts for details, until it's confirmed we can name names) 18mm Birch BB £37.70 + Vat, so it would seem there is room for movement.
I think that might be a good idea. Whenever someone buys some timber, they could post what it cost and where it came from.

In addition to making some informed decisions it might be a good science experiment to see how much prices fluctuate, and it might give forum members something to go on if they feel ripped off.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Just for kicks, here is a retail price list (cu3) from a local merchant. Small orders come under retail. All Ex.VAT.

White Oak 1 inch £41.45
Hard Maple 1 inch £45.85
Tulipwood 1 inch £23.90
Black Walnut 1 inch £78.80
CND Beech £27.00
Steamed £30
Unsteamed £30

But...for 9" + stock

White Oak 1 inch £52.15
Tulipwood 1 inch £29.30
Steamed Beach £34.50
Black Walnut 1 inch £104.90...
Black Walnut 2 inch £117.50.......!!

However, the timber is top notch F/S.

woodwoodjohn":c7f93u5p said:
I think national price list hardwood supplies is a good idea so buyers can compare prices nationwide, most woodies are happy to pay a fair price for wood. But prices do vary especially if you are buying small lots, maybe a national buyers club might be a idea worth looking into.????????

I've considered this but concluded that it would have to be in the form of a brokerage and thus, a profit making enterprise. Someone would basically become a commodities trader, so it's not a casual undertaking I don't think. (not that you were suggesting it was..)

I really don't think we need a buying group but to go into a timber yard with a good understanding of the general price before we get robbed at the counter can't be a bad thing. If there is a local price we can hit them with even better.

Any mods have any problems with displaying prices paid, volumes, dates and suppliers for our materials?

Anyone reading this thread can easily see 1 inch beech for a cube foot is between £16 to £17.40 plus vat on average so far.

I did some sums, and I get the following. The results are totally crazy, so I will post my calculations below.

2 x 4 wood is now technically 47mm x 100mm
2 x 6 wood is now technically 47mm x 150mm

Based on that, there are:
- 213 board meters of 2x4 in a cubic meter
- 143 board meters of 2x6 in a cubic meter
calculation
----((100*47*(Length-in-meters*1000)/1000000000 )) - 2 x 4 and
----((150*47*(length-in-meters*1000)/1000000000) and

Based on the calculations above, it turns out I'm being quoted £280/cubic meter + VAT for c16 pine from a well known company. Which is more than I thought it would be.

YorkshireMartin":3getymv3 said:
Just for kicks, here is a retail price list (cu3) from a local merchant. Small orders come under retail. All Ex.VAT.

White Oak 1 inch £41.45
Hard Maple 1 inch £45.85
Tulipwood 1 inch £23.90
Black Walnut 1 inch £78.80
CND Beech £27.00
Steamed £30
Unsteamed £30

But...for 9" + stock

White Oak 1 inch £52.15
Tulipwood 1 inch £29.30
Steamed Beach £34.50
Black Walnut 1 inch £104.90...
Black Walnut 2 inch £117.50.......!!

However, the timber is top notch F/S.

Any chance you can PM me the place, those prices are pretty decent and they might not be too far from me?

Thanks!

Hi,

Can we update this thread with some up to date prices please?

What are people paying, and in what area?

Thanks!!

Ps - the absolute worst part of my wood working hobby is shopping for wood. I find it a frustrating and tedious process because I have to call around so many places to try and find a reasonable market price, and delivery!! Is Anywhere from £10 to £100...
(I'm in East London)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back